trailer brakes how to install?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mike lane lawn care, Aug 17, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

as many of you may know from my post on the astro, i now have a van to tow with, but i would like to help out the van's brake system. How would i go about puting brakes on my single axle trailer, it is only 2,000 lbs, but i would like to do this as i have many steep hills to traverse here in the berkshires. what is involved and what would it cost? and are there different types allowed in MA?

thank you
    muchas gracias
    merci

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Rob that is some good info... mike maybe they will move this over to the trailer section. I would certainly like to know what the cost would be to install a brake package on a single axle also. We have run one trailer for many years without brakes but have had several very bad experiences on wet pavement. This little trailer with a couple small mowers pushed our F250 out into an intersection one day on slick rain. Didn't have anti lock brakes and I wasn't think about pumping the brakes when I was headed into the intersection.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I added brakes to my 6x12 the second day I had it. I will never have a trailer without brakes again. I tow with a F350 too.

You need:
    Brake Controller, I suggest Tekonsha Prodigy. avoid the cheap ones they sell at walmart/tsc etc.
    backing plates with pads
    and then finally drums. I would suggest getting a package deal from somewhere online or local. Its more expensive to piece a system together. To order parts you will need to know your axle numbers and it will need to have a 4bolt flange on it to accept the backing plates. If you're not sure what you need bring it somewhere and have them inspect it to match stuff up.
    6 or (ideally) 7 Way RV-style plug + harness for truck.
    I suggest adding a break-a-way system, but its not necessary.

5. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

I just bought a dual axle 6 1/2 x 12 or 13 the other day brand new from the dealer and it only cost an extra $100 for the electric brakes.....not a bad investment. I tow pallets of rock and definately cant afford to have those push me into an intersection.

Buuuut, ya also have to have the setup in your vehicle as well, that would cost quite a bit more, my truck just happened to come with one.