Trailer Brakes Need Help

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by AVERDEROSA, Mar 25, 2005.

1. AVERDEROSA

AVERDEROSA LawnSite Member

HOW DO I FIND OUT WHY MY TRAILER BRAKES ARE NOT WORKING? WHERE DO I START. TRUCK AND CONTROLLER ARE ONLY 3 YEARS OLD. TRAILER IS ABOUT 8 YEARS OLD. POWER LIGHT IS ON, ON CONTROLLER. WHEN YOU STEP ON BRAKES CONTROLLER DOES FLASH. IS THERE A EASY WAY TO CHECK AND SEE IF TRAILER BRAKES ARE THE PROBLEM OR TRUCK CONTROLLER IS THE PROBLEM. (WHERE DO I START) :help:

2. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

1. please dont use caps it is considered yelling on forums

2. on a gravel drive or road pull the trailer empty and slam the brakes if the trailer brakes lock the wheels up it is ok... this is the only way I know to test the brakes besides taking it to a shop.

3. timthetoolman

timthetoolman LawnSite Member

If you have a local trailer dealer, they will most likely have a test box that plugs into your pigtail connector. That will tell you if the truck/contoller is ok.
    Good luck, hope that helps. :waving:

4. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

Most trailers have a break away feature so if it becomes disconnnected from your truck the brakes lock up. Pull that and see what happens when pulling it. Also if you a 12 volt battery as part of your breaks on the trailer, check that for a charge. lastly just get a test light and work your way back.

5. AVERDEROSA

Thanks for the help. My trailer does not have a break away battery set up. So i cant test that. My truck does seem to be working. I know there is a type of test you can do to see if the trailer brake magnets are working. Does anybody know how to do this?

6. AVERDEROSA

What happened to my thread? Why does it say it was moved?

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It was moved so more people would see it.

1: Are the lights (brake and parking) on the trailer working?
    2: If the lights are working are they working correctly? Examples of incorrect light function would be:

a: You step on the brakes and the left brake light comes on but the right side parking light comes on.
    b: You turn on the right hand turn signal and the parking lights flash instead.

3: What kind of controller is it?

8. AVERDEROSA

All lights on trailer function properly. Controller is drawtite activator 2.

9. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

A,
    When it flashes, does it flash "OL"-even if it doesn't say ol it sounds like you have a short. Start by visually checking the wiring of the trailer if you can. My dad was having a problem w/ his car trailer. Somehow the wire wedged itself between the wood and the frame & was causing a short for the brakes. Try this link to get instructions & trouble shooting for your controller. thttp://drawtite.com/aciibrco.htmlhe If you can, try hooking a dif. trailer up w/ brakes to check the truck end. Well, good luck.
    Chris

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If it flashes OL when the trailer is not connected then you have a short in the blue wire of your truck. If it flashes OL with the trailer connected to the truck then there is a short or overload in the trailer.