1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer brakes on single axel trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by IdealLawnCare, Apr 19, 2009.

1. IdealLawnCare

IdealLawnCare LawnSite Member

I am thinking of installing brakes on my 6 x 12 enclosed trailer with a 3500lb axel. I dont NEED them, it is a want just to be more safe on the road. Do any of you guys have brakes on you smaller single axel trailers and what do you think of the idea.

I can get a complete kit for about $180.00 (plus $33.00 shipping) on ebay.

Tell me your thoughts
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Trailer brakes will help save you from wearing out the trucks brakes. Trailer brakes are cheaper than replacing pads and rotors on the pickup.
  3. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

i have a single Axel 6x10 trailer it weighs about 900lb empty ,with my Dexter torque flex 3500 lb Axel i have about 2600 lb capacity .technically any thing hauling over 2000 lb need trailer brake's ,i got a big truck but it has saved me a couple times when the trailer got out of control on a slick street and i was able to just tap the trailer brake's and it straightened it out .it's not a bad safety item to have . :)
  4. terrypiper

terrypiper LawnSite Member

smart idea! i dont know what your state laws are, but here in good ol kansas every axle on the ground has to have trailer brakes if it is a commercial use vehicle.
  5. IdealLawnCare

I agree and believe in trailer brakes. I went ahead and ordered the set for my 6x12 because thinking back there has been a couple of times I wish I had them. They should be here on 4-22-09 then to find time to install them.
  6. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Now, mine is a bit bigger and a little more heavier duty, but mine is a 7x16 dual axle. I had with the trailer 4000 pounds altogether. I recently bought a brake controller for it, day and night difference The trailer had brakes, but never had them hooked up. A whole better having them hooked up
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It ain't worth it, the whole kit and kaboodle ends up costing about as much as the whole trailer did.
  8. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

upto 1800 lbs no brakes

1800lbs to 4400lbs brakes on one axle

Over 4400lbs brakes all axles with break away system

Qver 8000lbs air brakes etc

1800-- 4400lbs surge, electric ,electric over hydraulic

over 4400lbs as above but surge brakes not allowed

ps recommend disc brakes as there is no adjustment to do as brakes are always 100% ready
    Disc pad changes are way easy
  9. IdealLawnCare

OK you lost me with your thinking.......... How does $180.00 plus $33.00 for shipping cost about as much as the trailer? I hope your eyes were playing trick on you and you misread something because around here 6x12 enclosed trailers cost more than $213.00:hammerhead:
  10. PMASON718

PMASON718 LawnSite Member

I just bought a trailer brand new from Haulmark and I had them install electric trailer brakes on it and I have a 6x12. I'm going to say its worth it.