Trailer Brakes RH & LH

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ed2hess, Dec 26, 2011.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I can never remember whether the LH is the passenger side or not? And the more I look at the two assemblies I wonder whether it really makes a differnce which way you install them?

2. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

left hand is drivers side ,everything vehiculer is oriented to sitting behind the steering wheel .

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Googled it and here's what I got:

Right-Hand, Left-Hand, Which do I need? It is a simple task to determine whether you need a left or right-hand brake assembly. Look at your existing electric trailer brake assembly with the magnet at the bottom. The electric brake actuating arm with the magnet attached is connected to a hinge pin near the top of the backing plate. The actuating arm is going to curve around to the left or right. If it curves to the right, you need a right-hand electric brake assembly. If it curves left, you need a left-hand brake assembly.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

My situation is I think a shop put them on backwards a couple years back and I am trying to avoid pulling hubs off another trailer.

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but da twailer ain't got no steering wheel, dud it? :laugh:

But yes, you are correct, lol.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

So do you think this brake assembly is on correct? This is on the passenger side of the truck and the front of the trailer is to the right.

025.jpg

7. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

looks correct ,the arm is on the front side ,and the front shoe has a shorter friction area .

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

yep that is correct. I am surprised at the little interest on figuring out
    what side these things go on. I guess I am the only dumb one. Well the guys that put the set on one of trailers from Brake-r-us didn't get it right. It ended up causing the brakes to grab and heated them up and took out
    a bearing.. before I figured out what happened.