1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trailer brakes

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JTS Landscaping lawn, Mar 5, 2006.

1. JTS Landscaping lawn

JTS Landscaping lawn LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 20 gooseneck and electric brakes on one axle. i had it hooked up the other day and brakes were working find but then i put the brakes on and the trailer started like bounching and jerking the truck wondering what you guys think in might be.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Could be a build up of brake dust in the drums. I have seen this same thing on rear brakes on cars and trucks when I was in the auto biz.
    Remove the drums clean and inspect shoes reinstall drums and adjust.
  3. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the difference between load and no-load when you applied the brakes. Try whatever knob adjustments you have - some have 1 some have 2. Load up what you will usually be carrying and go (cautiously) to the nearest big, empty parking lot or long driveway. Drive around and adjust the knob(s) until the trailer behaves the way you expect it should.
  4. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

could be a wiring prob like maybe a loose ground wire. it works in pull the when you start breaking it looses connection and brakes go off then they make contact agian then puts the brakes back on ....and on and on
    just a thought
    i seem to have a hard time keeping the wiring on my trailors working
    i have found the best way to fix a wiring problem is to rip it all out and replace
  5. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a bad ground. Those wires wiggle around a lot in the axle area where they connect to the backing plate. If you have the modulator turned down and it still does that, check the wires.

I agree with Gammon on the chore of keeping trailer wires in good shape. We've spent all winter redoing a few truck bodies and trailers.

For an electrical tip, I install junction boxes at the nose of all trailers and when we order new trucks, I specify junction boxes at the end of the frame before the wires split out to the body lights and/or trailer plugs. This proves to be helpful later when certain segments of the wires fail, you can run from a terminal block instead of splicing into exisiting wire. Also, get a roll of the pre-bundled (we use 6-wire) trailer wire.

If the brakes end up being bad at the wheel. I suggest getting new backing plate assemblies, rather than the individual parts. It seems slightly more expensive, but they generally just bolt on, connect the wires and put the wheel back on.