1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Brakes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Metroman, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Metroman

Metroman LawnSite Member
    from Va.

For the past couple of weeks I've had trouble with my brakes. When i put the brakes on it seems like my trailer brakes dont even work sometimes. The trailer is just a year old, but since i've had it they have had some type of delay in them. Is this common? No matter how much i adust the box inside the truck i still have some type of problem, either they will grab to much or not enough. The trailer is a 6.5/16ft trailer.
  2. maybe take the truck to some form of an electrical shop. possibly there is a break in the system or something of that nature? a short? or maybe you overloaded the system?
  3. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

Metroman, I somtimes have the same problems you are describing. What kind of brake controller do you run? Are you sure it is leveled properly? My mowing crews have the problem of getting it out of level. Could it be the pads themselves? You stated it is only a year old, but with an agressive setting they could be worn. I leave my trailer that carries my tractor set very tight and replace pads yearly.

I dont know if any of this has helped. believe me, I have spent a lot of time sitting on a five gallon bucket with a circut tester.LOL
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

They are touchy, i think its best to have them adjusted so they dont grab alot. If you use the manual lever without touching the brake petal, and you feel it grab, then the brakes are fine.
  5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

MetroMan are you in Richmond? If so I bet I know where you bought yours and what brand it is. I know this cause I have the same one. Real piece of crap. I spent over 3 hours on the brakes yesterday and know what....still don't work. I decided I'm just going to put on a new set of brakes altogether. Send me a private message or e-mail if you get a chance.
  6. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Electrical brakes can be a real problem. Also check your electrical connections at the trailer plug, sometimes these will get dirty and slightly corroded over time. Either a good cleaning or replacement of plugs may be needed. We only have a few trailers with electrical brakes, we prefer surge brakes, much more reliable and easier to maintain. However this option on trailers is a little more money when you buy your trailer.
    PS: This thread should be in the mechanic and repair forum.