1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer brakes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by huskertaz, Feb 3, 2002.

1. huskertaz

huskertaz LawnSite Member

First time writer:
    I was considering buying a tandem axle trailer this season due to growth and had a question about the brakes. They offer electric brakes and hydraulic surge breaks. What is the difference and what would you guys prefer to have on your trailer? I was thinking about getting a 8' x 16' or 18' trailer.

Thanks, Erik :confused:
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I like electric brakes better. I had a trailer with the surge brake setup and I never liked it. It seemed like the brakes either applied too hard or not enough. I could never get it just right. Also, to back up, you had to get out and go back to the trailer and lock out the surge system. That was a pain.:(

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Electric brakes are alot simpler and easier to maintain and install.. a few wires and that s about it... One connector in addition to the wire harness to the trailer and your set...
  4. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I would go with electric brakes. My old trailer had electric brakes and they worked fine. My new trailer has surge brakes, it seemed like a good idea at the time I ordered the trailer but I'm sorry now.I thought surge would be a good idea because I could pull the trailer on different vehicles and not have to buy a brake controler or 7 pin connector for each vehicle. Like it was said before the brakes grab and lock up the tires or they don't come on at all. Another down side is that the trailer is only rated at 6000 lbs. instead of 7000 lbs if it had electric brakes. I also can't use my weight distributing hitch system with the surge brakes.

5. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

Electric...Nuff said.

ERIC ROBERGE LawnSite Member

Surge brakes will cost you more in maintainence also. the master cylinder tends to leak and need replacing on a regular basis. There is also the mechanism to activate the brakes. That will need to be serviced . On electric brakes the only real maintainence issues are brake linings, wires and connectors. Use a good pigtail connector and shrinkwrap wire connectors and the wiring will be almost maintaince free.
    On the surge brakes the trailer brakes activate after the vehicle brakes do. On the electric brakes the trailer can be set to brake at the same time or even a little before the vehicle brakes do.
  7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My question would be: If you bought a 16' duel axle trailer without brakes can you add brakes to it? Maybe a dumb question,I don't know.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah ,, You could add them but it would be alot easier and cheaper to get them when you order the trailer.. Youll waste money if you do it later.. Not sure exactly what you would need to do , but I would guess you would probly need diff hubs out... plus the wiring , break out box, and new harness, If it does not have brakes chances are it will only have a 4 pin conncetor, with brakes should have a 7 pin connector, So youll have to redo all that too.. FUN FUN FUN.....