1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Brakes

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by chevyguy$$, Apr 16, 2011.

1. chevyguy$$

chevyguy$$ LawnSite Member

one question before i buy this landscape trailer it needs brakes They are bad is this something thats real costly to do or pretty cheap let me kno??? 16ft dual axle

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I paid $25 per wheel for my Big Tex last spring. I ordered them from Big Tex or from their online store called Tex Trail. Those were abolutely the best prices I could find, locallly they wanted $50 per wheel. Change the whole assumbly, much easier.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. Get the whole backing plate with all the hardware already installed.

Redneck Trailer supply is a good source. Don't know if you have one in your area.

http://www.redneck-trailer.com/index.htm

4. chevyguy$$

thanks guys....

5. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Also make sure you have brakes on both axles. You wouldn't drive a truck with half the brakes missing and a trailer is the same way.

6. chevyguy$$

i only see brakes on 2 axle is that correct or should it have 4

7. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Often times trailer places make brakes on the second axle an option to keep the costs down. It's harder on the trailer and your truck when the trailer only has half the stopping power.

I upgraded one of my trailer from single to double axle brakes and it made a difference. I have my trailers all custom built and I will not buy a tandem or triple without brakes on axles. If your towing with a light duty half ton truck it's even more important not to have a trailer with proper stopping power.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

In Illinois, the law was just changed the last couple of years and I think over 8k, or any double axle trailer must have brakes on both axles.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, any double axle trailer must have brakes and break away switch.

10. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm looking at $180 for the parts to do my back axle is it worth it?