1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trailer brakes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by voglernut, Jan 7, 2003.

1. voglernut

voglernut LawnSite Member

Just wondering how many of you use trailer brakes. i will have a 6.5 X 16 trailer, one 60" ztr, maybe a small back-up mower, walk behind, trimmer rack with trimmers, tool box, and a few misc. items. is it well worth the extra $200, including brake switch, when buying the trailer. i'm pulling it with a 2002 silverado extended cab.
  2. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

I have a 14' trailer and I'm going to put brakes on it. Trailer brakes make it much easier on your truck brakes. Safer too!
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Definately worth the $200.
  4. We had big one tons and really didnt need the brakes but we still put em on.It helps save the trucks brakes from extra ware and tare.
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

If you don't spend the money on the brakes you will wish you had.

6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree get the breaks ur truck won't diccepate.:p
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Depending on the size of the trailer, it might be illegal not to have them. My friend has a 16' trailer without brakes. He hauls 2 ZTR's. His truck goes through brake pad quit often.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The only kind or size trailer that I would pull without trailer brakes would be an empty one...plain and simple.
  9. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

A 16 ft. trailer needs brakes. I'm a big fan of trailer brakes.
  10. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

If you don't think you need trailer brakes wait until you need to make an emergency stop and your are literaly pushed into the rear end of someone else. I have them on my enclosed and would never drive a trailer without them. Spend the payup and you won't be sorry.:)