trailer build?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by muddstopper, Nov 1, 2006.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 16ft trailer I took in trade for a job I did, that just isnt up to snuff for what I use it for. Its a 7k lb tandem axle, factory built, car hualer made from angle steel. At the time I got it, I didnt really want it, but it beat getting stiffed on a job, so I floored it and have been using it to hual my small tractors around. 1500lb tractors +attachments, so its never been over loaded GVW. The problem is it flexxes so much it is breaking into. Its also about 2ft shorter than it needs to be. I am considering building a longer trailer and just using the axles out from under the old one. I dont want to sell the old one to anybody, its just to far gone. I want to keep the trailer as close to the ground as possible but dont want to use angle to build it with. I was considering 2x4x3/16 rectangle tubing for the frame, but the cost of steel has me wondering if I might be just as well off with 2x4 channel framing and using 2in channel for cross members so I can set the lumber floor down inside the frame. Anybody have any thoughts on this? I think the reason the other trailer isnt holding up is because I hual two 1500 lb tractors at the same time, (one on each end because thats the only way they will fit), and the angle iron cant stand the stress of the bounching of two seperate peices of equipment, where as one 3000lb tractor would probably never give any problem. Anyways, rectangle tubing or channel iron, what do you think?

2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

The rectangular tubing will cost more, but it will be stronger. If you are using 3/16 channel, it will be strong enough for the application that you are doing, just be sure your welds are strong and you have enough crossmembers and a good strong outside frame to support the weight of yoru intended load.

Instead of building a new trailer, why not just modify and strenghten the old one??

3. muddstopper

The whole point of using the tubing was for more rigidity. 18ft creates a lot of flexx. I was considering tubing for the outside frame, with two additional runners in the middle. Overkill I know. The tubing is $120 a stick. (5 sticks needed to build the trailer) I think that using the channel with the same design and with 2x2 angle on 2ft centers for crossmembers will be strong enough, and cheaper. I just prefer to work with the tubing, it eliminates a lot of grinding:cry:, but also creates problems for places to hook straps. With channel, you can just hook anywhere you need to.

I do intend to use a lot of the old trailer, the tounge and axles,( which means I get to use the old title), and much of the lumber flooring, lights and such, but its easier to build new, (and about as cheap), than try and lengthen and beef up the old trailer. I can build the trailer in about a day in my shop.

4. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Good Luck. Post Pics and let us know how it turn out...

5. muddstopper

Good ideal about the pic's. Now I just need to wait on a rainy day to do this build.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I HAD a Chanel trailer and it broke apart i replaced it with a foster box Chanel trailer love it if u go the Chanel way u may want to put some diagonal bracing on the bottom kinda like a diamond shape to help with flex

7. muddstopper

I bought the 4 in channel today, so I guess I made up my mind.:dizzy:
    Dusty, not sure what you mean about diagonal braceing. I will be diamonding the corners for sure. I will also be adding a railing around the top of the trailer, which will give additional support. If I can figure out how to get the pics off my new phone ( durn thing dont work like my old one did) I will post some of the build and the finished product, as well as the trailer I am scrapping. If it rains next weekend, I should find time to work on it.

8. PROFESSORRAIN

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

Mudd if I,m correct it's like an x in the frame 1 long piece 2 small pieces to complete x.oh yeah there called gussets the diamond in the corner.Don't forget in the corner to cut off tip so ther is just about 1/4" to 3/8" hole for good tie-in weld in corner.