trailer choices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by onboard2, Feb 3, 2002.

1. onboard2

onboard2 LawnSite Member

I'm going to buy a trailer for my Bobcat 61 ztr and bobcat 54".
    I will be towing this setup with a toyota tacoma 6 cyl. My question is what size should I buy with this size of truck. I am considering a 6.5 x 12 single axle. Some say that A double axle will ride better ? But a single axle would be easier to manuver Do I need electric brakes ? Is this a case of too much mower with this truck. My dealer said that tube railed tralers are more durable that the L shape rails. Your help woulld be appreciated.
    Whats a good price and where a good dealer in Ohio ?
    Thanks,

Tony

2. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a 14' or 16' for the same price, you'll use it or need it later. For the estra $100, buy the brakes, that's a no brainer, you'll thank yourself as some F.L.O.P. pulls out infront of you. Those should come in dual axle, saves from your truck being in a ditch or catwalking down the road.

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

onboard 2

I have moved this thread here so that it will get more views/opinions since you are going to be hauling mowers.
    Thanks,

4. They have a big inventory to look at. Or you can order one exactly to your spec's. It 's not very far from Dayton.

I'm with brentsawyer on the dual axels.
    If your truck's a little light, the dual axels will help stabilize the weight.

That dealer's right about the tube rails. But they also add trailer weight.

Dave

5. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

Im not sure what kind of torqe a toyota V6 has, but I was almost in the exact situation as you are one week ago. I have a GMC Sonoma 4.3 I was pulling a 6 x10 all last year. It was ready to go. I bought a 6.5 X 12 about a week ago I got it with tandem axles, and brakes on all four wheels (this is an absolute must!!!!). It looks like to me that with a single axle it might result in more tounge weight. You will probably need a set of helper springs. I took my truck down to Les Shwab and got an extra leaf on each side for $141 installed. My truck doesent squat at all. single axle 6 x12 can haul only #3500 pounds, while tandem axle 6 x 12 can carry #7000. Just try to avoid hills with a big trailer and those heavy ZTR'S. What type of V6 does your Toyota have and what kind of torqe?

TRAILER BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Onboard 2
    Right now we have a 6.5 x12ft trailer, single axle with no brakes, it is a Falcon Trailer. I will have to agree with Brentsawyer, buy either a 14ft or 16ft tandem with brakes because with the equipment you have right now their won't be any space on the 12ft trailer for extra attachments. ITs always good to look ahead to any future expansion.
    But if your going to go with the 12ft trailer then get brakes and a tandem. We have a 52inch Turf Tiger on the trailer along with a JD F525 three wheeler and if the load isn't balanced correctly it can sway very easily with just one axle back there. I am just afraid that without brakes on the trailer my truck,98 Ford Ranger V6 4.0L 4x4, will have to get new brakes soon :(. Take it easy on that truck thats what i have learned.
    Matt(Lawnman)

7. big james

big james Banned
    from texas

I don't agree with that theory, unless they are use awful thick square tubing your better off with anle iron -just my two cents .I have owned both ,someone stole my angle iron trailer and I replaced it with a square tube and I regret it ! pulling with that type of vehicle I would make sure I got some trailer brakes . I pull two ztr's around on a one ton pickup withour trailer brakes but my pickup weighs 4800# and I got those one ton brakes.;)

8. onboard2

onboard2 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys. What's the advantages of a double axle over a single axle. Would a single
    axle with brakes be about the same as the double.
    Or would the single have more tongue weight than the single and be harder to handle ? Would the double be worth the extra money or too much weight for the Tacoma V6 1/2 ton.

Thanks

9. RoewMow

RoewMow LawnSite Member

The double distributes the weight better and will track better.... Safer for youand those around you. Check out Gator Trailers in Somerset KY (don't know if they have a web site). The guy has standard landscapes or will special make ones for a little extra. Go with a tandem axle for the better ability to handle loads.

10. RoewMow

RoewMow LawnSite Member

Sorry forgot to mention, plan for the future when you get a heavier truck (Ford for my money) and start to carry more/ expand (crew and equipment).