Trailer crash HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Jerry and Sons, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

Last night I was coming home from a job site, traveling down a narrow and winding two way street. A car came towards me and was staddleing the yellow line in the middle of the road. I had two options 1. hit him head on. 2. swerve away from him towards the berm. I chosse option two and while doing so the right side tires of the trailer went off of the road and hit a drainage pipe. Both rims were dented and both of the tire were toast.

I limped the trailer to a side street and replaced both the tires and rims that were destroyed, but the tires seem to be leaning outward were they contact the road. Tires are snug and do not wiggle, trailer travels straight, but i am concerned about the way the tires are leaning on the right side of the trailer. Any ideas? Thanks. :(
  2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds to me like you bent the axles, which isnt good. probably you'll need to take the trailer to a shop and have new ones installed on it.
  3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

you should have let him hit you. if he was swerving that bad then he might have been drunk, and also it would have been his fault and you would have ended up with a brand new trailer from the insurance co. But anyway, sounds like some axles got bent. Next time let the fools who drive stupid hit ya (as long as theres no escape route), as long as its not your fault.
  5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Bent axles arent too big a deal, its only a matter of removing the old ones and putting new in place. nothing like pulling an engine from a truck apart and puttting it back together.
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Always avoid a head on collision if possible,somebody dead..
    drunk or not is trade off for a bent axel.You did the right thing by avoiding,it's pretty hard to bend an axel though,you could have bent alot of things under there.Take it in or jack it up and take a look at the damage.Did you get a licence plate# by any chance??
  7. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I wish I could of gotten a plate number but I was too busy trying to get the truck and trailer out of the ditch before hitting any of the trees. I did get to look under the trailer and found that both of the axles are bent. Any ideads of what kind of money an axle will cost?
  8. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

My sentiments exactly. Even though the guy (or gal) was a horse's arse for being over the center line, you did the right thing by preventing an accident that could have caused injury to either them or you. It's too bad that your trailer is damaged. The other person that caused the accident should have stopped and taken responsibility for the damage, but not many would have done the honorable thing.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Take It To A Truck Frame An Axle Shop To See If The Frame Is The Dealer You Got The Trailer From For Parts Or At Least Just The Part Numbers . You Could Check Out Northern Tool , They Have Good Pricing. I Also Have A Great Catolog For Trailer Parts Around Here Someplace.....will Post The Name And Number If I Can Find It.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

I Know The Place Is In Pa Too So Shipping Would Be Fast...... Like I Said Great Place But Just Cant Remember The Name .......will Post Asap