1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Difference

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rookie03, Dec 27, 2004.

1. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

What would the weight difference be between a 6x12 open trailer and a 6x12 enclosed trailer? I'm wanting to get an enclosed trailer, but if it weighs a LOT more I probably won't get it. Anyone know what the weight difference should be between these two trailers? Thanks!

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

6x12 haulmark enclosed single axle i think 1890lbs.
  3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

the 6 x 12 wells cargo i picked up this week has a GVW of 3000. curb weight of 1180. this is straight off the title.

what's the specs for the open?
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im thinking my 6x12 open trailer weighs about 850, but it is made of box tubing not angle iron. I think that the biggest thing you will see is that the drag is so much more with the enclosed vs the open trailer
  5. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know if this helps but my 6'10" X 12 tandem axle open trailer with 24" high sides wieghs in at 1560 pounds and is a 7k GVW.
  6. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

Interstate 6'x12' Single Axle Weighs 1395lbs with double rear doors. The ramp adds more weight. Keep in mind that with Enclosed trailers you will find that a 6' width will actually be closer to 5' 8" and you have less available payload.
  7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i was thinking that also before i bought mine. i got lucky though, cuz on my wells cargo, the interior width is 5'10". i only lose 1" on either side. I saw that on their website spec chart, then went out and measured.

i need 69" for my set up of 48 wb with 21 pushed next to it. I clear with 1". perfect.