1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trailer dolley

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mattydjakd, Feb 9, 2005.

1. mattydjakd

mattydjakd LawnSite Member

I was just wondering if any of you have those trailer dollies (spelling) that are advertised in magazines such as northern. They have two pneumatic wheels, and a ball mounted onto a long handle that allows you to maneuver around a heavy trailer quite easily. I was wondering how they worked on uneven ground and if they were worth the dough.
  2. Robert F

Robert F LawnSite Member

I bought one at Harbor Freight just last week. It's been easier to use then the wheel mounted on the trailer itself. I have to back the trailer in behind my garage and the truck can't do it. So I can say I'm pretty happy with it!
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

How big of trailer is it? I pull a 16ft tandem axle trailer and thought one of the jacks with the wheel on it would allow me to manuver it easily. Wrong......and the thing collasped after a couple tries.
  4. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Ours doesnt work easy with our smallest trailer even empty 20' enclosed. We use our skid loader to move our trailers. The dolley doesnt work unless it a 10-12' trailer on level ground
  5. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

If the trailer is balanced properly, and it is a single axle trailer, you'll do fine. When you try to use one of those to turn a double axle trailer, you're fighting the friction of trying to skid one of the axle set's tires in the ground, and that's no easy task! Then you're back to using a motorized means of maneuvering the trailer......
  6. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

as long as you have the heavy duty dolly, I use to move my 16' tandem axle
    with 2 walkers and a scag 52" w/b me and another guy could move it no problem.
  7. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Got mine off Ebay but it's the same as the Harbor Freight models. It works ok but, When I move my 12' single axle, I end up lifting the whole thing (dollie and trailer tongue) off the ground. Just like picking it up by hand. When I use it on my 16' tandem axle, I really have to put some effort into it. In fact I suggest it would be safer to have two people move one this size or larger. I haven't moved the 16' with more than my empty leaf box and loader on it so I don't know how it would be with a lot of weight on the trailer.

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have one it cost me about $100 it fine for moving my 6x12 even on grass if you are pulling it but I would never try to move my 16 foot with it.
  9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I got one been used once got a flat make a offer.
  10. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

my trailer dealer has one. he moves around every kind of trailer on a gravel lot. he moved mine with all my equipment into his shop when i was having brake problems. he's not a real big guy either. my trailer is 7x18. as long as you have a heavy duty one i think it will work