trailer drag

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rcracer, Dec 28, 2007.

1. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

I was looking for some advice. I have a 07 chevrolet swb v-6. I just bought a 6 x 12 trailer with ramp on the back of it. Heres the thing when I get up to about 50 or 60 the ramp creates such a drag that the truck barely pulls itself. And that is empty. I mean I know the v-6 is gutless but I didnt think it would be that bad. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :usflag:

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've always been able to do at least 55, even with my first 28-year old truck...
    I'm talking that old thing might've had a v-8 but it was super worn, too.
    Now it might take 5 miles to get up there, or however long it takes, just take it easy.

My newest d2500 has a 5.9 Liter V-8 and that speedo goes to 120+...
    It probably has a governor but other than the odd ooops I don't think I've ever had it much past 60-65, 70 at the absolute most.
    And once that trailer of mine is loaded I can burn rubber and it still don't move but so fast, with the throttle floorboarded it still won't even keep up with cars, so I just take it easy, don't make much sense anyhow.

That's all part of inertia, I've got about 4 tons the truck has to move, v6, v8, v12, it ain't gonna MOVE but so fast, and then there's the reason for it you have to think about stopping... For an 18-wheeler they recommend following distances of 10-15 seconds, that's a 1/4 mile at 60mph, I myself follow at around 8-10 seconds distance from the car(s) in front, because it takes so much TIME to move and stop these things.

So for the most part gutless is normal when towing, it don't drive like a car.
    Nor do you want it to, slow might be the best way to learn, it really is the only way you're supposed to drive when towing.

Or you can either get a 3/4 ton or buy an aluminum trailer, but you still have to drive slow, even if you've got the power it just wears the crap out of everything but bigger trucks do have more giddyup.

3. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

very true and thanks it just seems like I cant even run in overdrive on a straight stretch. It is an automatic and even on flat ground it always shifts down.:usflag:

4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep it out of OD.

5. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

yeah its just aggrevating and i think it is going to hurt my gas mileage. I mean if I can get the same mileage from a v-8 why keep the 6

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I can't do much O/D'ing in mine either and it is frustrating but just how it is, best to click the button and let it be, rpm's of 3000 or so is not that big of a deal just keep up on oil and filter changes, trans fluid and filter every 10k also (messy but well worth it). For a 6-cyl you might even glean 3500-4000 rpm's but I'm not sure where your redline is, assuming it's at 5000 I wouldn't go much past 3500, if it's 6000 then 4k should be fine, if that's what it takes to do 50-55.
    Or just do 45, heck with it.

Check the oil frequently, change it and the filter every 3,000, religiously.

So it does hold you back but that's normal for a first year, even my 2nd truck wasn't all that but in ways I miss those days, in later years everything gets so dang expensive... My mpg is 11, so if you're getting even 14-16 be glad, be very glad.

7. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

with my Z71 I ahd to keep it in 3rd to tow my trailer and that was with the 5.3 V8 so don't think that just stepping up to any old V8 will solve the problem. When I traded for my 3/4 ton with the 6.0, it was the differnce in day and night. Although I know I shouldn't do it, I can't tell any differnce in running the truck in OD without the trailer as I can pulling the trailer. I just put it in OD and click the tow/haul button and head on down the road. Rear end gear ratio makes a differnece as well. My Z71 had 3.73's while the 2500 has 4.10s. Bigger torque and umph and the gears gives it more guts.

Growing up on a farm where we were constantly hauling hay and livestock and crops, I would NEVER NEVER have a truck with a V6. I had to learn the hard way about 1/2 tons as well. They just are not built to be pulling moderate to heavy loads day in and day out. DOn't get me wrong, they have their place..picking up a few bags of feed, maybe towing the boat or sea doo to the lake but not towing these lawn care trailers on a daily basis. Been there, done that, got the t shirt...no thanks.

8. dgZtrak737

dgZtrak737 LawnSite Member

I use to have a chevrolet swb, 2wd with the 4.3 V6. I also had 308 gears. And I pulled a 16 ft trailer with 2 JD 737 Ztraks Trimmers and a pressure washer. My problem was stopping. NO it isnt going to run a race with that load, but it will pull it. When I broke my partnership and went to mowing by myself, I used a 6X12 Trailer. I had no problems. My gas mileage was about 15 Pulling. NOW I have a 4.8 V8 in a 2006 Chevrolet SWB 2wd my gas mileage is about 13. I suggest if your going to get a V8 in a chevrolet get a 5.3

p.s I also pulled a small tractor and bush hog with my v6. I was a very very very good truck. It did more than it was suppose to. I never had transmission problems and when I traded it. It had 175,000 miles on it.

9. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

yeah but it is to be expected in north alabama to try and do more with a truck than it is built to do :laugh:

10. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

Thanks a million for all the help. I will just use the truck I mean it has a warranty anyways. It will get desent gas mileage and for my first year I am lucky to have a nice truck. I should be thanhful that is what 6 years in the Air Force will do for you. I am due to get out February 5 just in time for the mowing season.:usflag: