1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trailer electric

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy82, Oct 15, 2001.

what do you use to connect electric from trailer to truck?

1. plastic 4 prong round

2 vote(s)
  2. metal 6 prong round

11 vote(s)
  3. metal 7 prong round

7 vote(s)
  4. plastic 7 prong flat

2 vote(s)
  1. I just was curious what is the most popular electric connector for going from the trailer to the truck. I see these new flat pronged plastic connectors, but never see anyone actually using them. The popular ones seem to be either the metal 6 / 7 or plastic 4. What about with you?
  2. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Basic 4 wire flat connector.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

How do you run electric brakes with a 4 wire connector? I would guess you don't use a ground wire and rely on metal contact in the hitch for this, which it doesn't always make good contact.

The best way is a ground, a brake, a left turn, a right turn, and a wire for the running lights. Some trailers have a back up light and a hot wire for running breakaway setups or interior lights. I always use a seven wire plug since my 24' enclosed trailer has all of the extras and I need a 7 wire plug. I like the metal ones best.
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Bruce, I appoligize for not reading the original post better. I threw a 'brakes' in behind the ELECTRIC when I read it I guess. :)

I also read in another post you don't have electric brakes after I had posted. Then I read the orginal post again and found out I had goofed.

I guess my eyes were crossed when I read it. ;)
  5. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

No problem. When I become perfect, I'll be offended at the mistakes others make, until then I'll live with them.

Looking forward to meeting you at the BBQ Saturday.
  6. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Since our's is not on there I will just tell you.

7 round plastic.

Our truck's trailer package will only accept that type or connecter (or metal)