trailer fenders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stslawncare, Nov 14, 2002.

1. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

howdy everyone i purchased the frame, axle etc of an old popup camper. very good condition, i sanded, and painted with rustolium. i put a thick plywood floor on it, and made sturdy stake sides on it, solid front side with toolbox on the front tongue. my problem is the trailer is 6.5' wide and the wheels are 4' a part in the middle (2' on each side outside of wheel), they stick up in the middle of the deck basically. what is the best way to make fenders for this? wooden? the sides are almost 4' high and id like to put a tarp on top and use it as a leaf box, or debris or whatever. thanks for any help

2. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

How far do the tries stick up above the deck?

The reason that I ask is because I have seen this doena few way.

1) Build a platform above the wheels and call that you deck floor

2) Have some one you know get some reasonable gauge steel #10 or #12 and build some rounded fenders. They can be screwed to the deck or riveted. I would stay away from the wood especially if you are putting debris in it since they will be dam and when you go to shovel it out the metal will hold up better than the wood.

I personally went with option 2 on one of my trailers. It is a little akward laoding the mowers on it but it was very cheap as opposed to a new trailer.

Ron

3. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

You can order pre made fenders from Northern tools. The are good quality and likely cheaper then having someone make some up for you.

They do have a website but im not certain of what it is offhand.

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

they stick up to high to raise the deck, i was thinking wooden box around tires and on top make a tool box????

5. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

6. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Can you buy the prefab fenders from northern and cut/bend them to fit your application ?

7. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

jeffyr

Once you buy them you can do what ever you want with them. Just make sure you dont try to get a 10 inch fender to cover a 15 inch wheel. Just pulled out the catalog and you can get them from 10 to 30 bucks a piece depending on size etc.

For my time, thats money well spent instead of trying to build something out of wood that will likely rot out in three years.

CMerrick