Trailer flew off the truck

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by promower, Sep 4, 2012.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

edit: nevermind.
    thought you were the guy whos hitch popped off and this is what he used

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Same for me, I've used both and they work fine...it only needs to hold the pin in the hole.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I also use that type of pin and have never had issues, only issue really is that someone can steal the reciever in a dash

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

If any of you have an 04 250 chech the factory hitch...was wondering why ours was sagging and checked it...all bolts were missing nuts and the remaing two were finger tight...had just pulled the bobcat with it setup like this...forget chains, they would have just kept me from losing the receiver when the whole thing came off.

I replaced every nut with lock washers and new nuts.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. big daddy b

big daddy b LawnSite Member

wow, yeah good thing no one was hurt.
    I had something similar happen to me about 6 years ago when I didn't know any better.
    We had one of those hitch pins where the end of it slides up, spring loaded kind of deal, works great when you actually slide the end up...not so great when you leave it sticking out flat so the hitch pin can slide back out.

So anyway, I was towing an equipment trailer with a full sized backhoe (for my first time) down a back road, and the trailer hitch receiver pulled right off the truck, trailer tongue went smashing on the gravel, but the safety chains held strong and the trailer never took off. Nothing was damaged, no one got hurt, was able to jack the trailer back up and put the same pin back in and continue on down the road.

7. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

I have to say, that made me laugh pretty hard.

8. juspayme

juspayme LawnSite Senior Member

dude get a lock that goes through the hole i have been using them for years. then you know it wont fall out