Trailer Floors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimsLawnCareSNJ, Aug 20, 2001.

1. JimsLawnCareSNJ

JimsLawnCareSNJ LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hello people you know the mesh that alot of people use for the floor of there trailers? its a open wire mesh well i am making a trailer and i cant find where i can get it from any help would be apperciated
    please email me at
  2. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Your talking about expanded metal and Ive only seen it for gates and boxes and what not. Most decking on the trailer itself are usually pressure treated 2 by 6s or similiar. I dont think the metal as a deck material would hold up very well at all, and also would prevent you from using the trailer for carrying mulch or other materials.
  3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

We had expanded metal floor on one of our trailers that we hauled skid steers and other small equipment with. The right size will hold up fine IF you have enough crossmembers to support it. We had a lot of beams in the frame of our trailer so it had a lot of support. The wider the gap the metal will be spreading, the weaker it is.

If you drop by your local welding shop, they will be able to help you and give you an idea of what would have to be done to adapt it to your trailer.

If you have to haul building materials with it you can just slide in a few sheets of cheap plywood or luan.

Good Luck and hope this helped some!
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you are thinking of using this as a regular lawn trailer, I would reconsider. Over the years, I have just picked up WAY too many nuts, bolts, wrenches, sockets, and other parts and goods that happened to make their way to the trailer floor. I would never have this stuff now (or would have had to buy new) if I had an an expanded steel floor in my trailer.
  5. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

Jim you wouldn't happen be from Australia?:)
  6. skipwatson

skipwatson LawnSite Member

7. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

jim ditto all the advice above, go with the wood or 11ga. or thicker metal floor, i don't like the expanded metal floors for anything, the guy i bought mine from said it would be ideal for cleaning things, mowers, four-wheelers, etc. in my opinion there nothing but trouble, and for sure weaker..

good luck, keith

things are more like rite now than they've ever been
  8. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

You might consider using 3 pound expanded metal. It is 3/16" thick and would provide superior strength for heavy mowers. With the proper cross members installed, it will support a forklift.
  9. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Find a industrial supplier, or look for a metal supplier. The welding shop is also a good idea. I have to agree with using treated 2x6 for your decking material, but if you have a set plan then go for it. Ask the supplier of the various sizes he either has or can get so you can get the best thickness for your needs.
  10. JimsLawnCareSNJ

JimsLawnCareSNJ LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hey people, well thanks for your advice i decided not to use that but, would diamond plate be good? i use to work for a landscaper here in NJ and he used it on all his trailers also how much is it a square?
    thanks for your help Jim