Trailer for 250 skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I plan on getting a different trailer maybe later next year but for now I would like to use the one I got. I plan on putting my Deere 250 skid steer (6400 lbs.) on a car trailer rated for 7,000lbs. total. Counting the trailer and the skid steer I am going to be over the 7000lbs. limit by about 1,400lbs. I think the trailer will handle it fine but wanted all of your opinions. I have plenty of truck to pull it with (Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Turbo Diesel:).

2. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

i bought a john deere 250 from a guy last summer who hauled it around like that for a long time...

I personally wouldn't do it, but its doable.

make sure you have good trailer brakes and the tires are solid.

3. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

As long as your absolutely sure you'll NEVER get pulled over or NEVER get into an accident...then go for it...LOL

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I'd never haul overloaded. The fines involved are huge, not worth it. Get a new trailer ASAP. A big one. You'll never know what you're going to get into down the road. Get something with 12K GVW at least, 14K if you're feeling ambitious. We thought about getting a 10K, bought a 12K, and wished we had a 14 or 16K. Get at least a 20 footer as well, 16's just aren't big enough.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Scag tells the truth. I bought a 12K 16' Walton in 00'. It was plenty big I thought. I now can haul one of my skid steers on it and the roller thats it everything else I own is too heavy. The last trailer I bought was a 20' Towmaster, dovetail, 18K gvw. When you buy, get the most quality you can afford and I would not even consider a 16' trailer. As said 20' is the way to go. There is a direct corralation between cost and quality, at least thats what I have found. Bought a new 20' PJ 14K gvw cheap. It lasted a year pulling my excavator. Pretty expensive trailer when you do the math.