1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer for lawn equipment and sprayer?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lasher66, Nov 10, 2005.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Currently I have a 16 x 8 trailer that is pretty much packed with my equipment for cutting grass. Hopefull next year I am going to be into fertilizing and spraying. Does anyone have a setup where you can fit all your lawn equipment and a 200 gallon sprayer so you dont have to take up half your truck bed? I am thinking you would at least need a 18 to 20 ft trailer for this. Thanks

2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not start out with a backpack sprayer and lesco spreader.
  3. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Works for me! :p
  4. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I already talked about the backpack sprayer in another thread, but since you brought it up, what kind of sprayer do you use? Also, when doing your weed control application, do you blanket the hole yard, or just spray problem areas. It seem like with a backpack sprayer, you would have to carry a lot of water with you to keep refilling it. What is your process? Thanks for your help.

5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

when we use backpacks we use a low volume mix, with 3 oz weedcontrol per gallon so with a 4 gal sprayer you could spray 8000 k. but after you get the weeds under control you will only need to spot spray.
  6. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I use a Shindaiwa (sp) 4 gallon backpack sprayer.. I blanket every app. Since I only have a few properties that I service different days, water is never a problem.
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Look into a Perma-Green, or Z-Spray.

I know you're just starting out in the spraying end of the business, but it'll give you room to grow.

Plus they're "fairly" compact, along with the fact that you won't have to carry as much water with you.

The problem with the 200 gallon sprayer, is that you're going to have to fill that tank after every 3rd lawn.

If you had a ride-on unit, you could get by just about all day with an extra 100 gallon tank in the back of your truck, or on the trailer.

Plus, you can fertilize and spot spray at the same time, not walking the entire lawn twice.

I know it's a fair chunk of change, but you won't be beat after mowing all day and running that spreader around on top of it.

I run a 24' V-Nose enclosed trailer and I've got (2) 60" ZTR's, a push mower and my PG Ultra, with some room to spare if I wanted to put a walk-behind in or something else that's about 4' wide / deep.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What do you do, pop that PG out the side door in the front? What a setup! Everything you need, whenEVER you need it! I carry my PG with me, but I have to unload a mower if I'm just going to be using it that once to do some spotting or something. If I am just doing some aps in a row, the PG stays to the back of the trailer. Having a side door like that would be the best of both worlds, although you would have to lift the door before you do you ap so you would block that area.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, it's like the snowmobile trailers with the door on the "V", which is 48" wide. I can drop the door and back the PG out and start to work, leaving all the other equipment in place.

It's also got the service door on the other side, where I run my 21" mower in and out without having to take the larger mowers out.
  10. breckslawncare

breckslawncare LawnSite Member

If you're just getting started you might not want to drop that much money on a PG. Back packs are an essential but it's difficult and time consuming to "blanket" a yard. And still time consuming to spot a newly acquired or problem yard.
    I can do mare than 3 lawns on my 200 gal. I use a surfactant and run the herbicide on the high rate.
    Also a power spary rig will allow you to expand into ornamental and tree spraying, pest control, or termite work if you want to.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a perma green or a Z-spray but it's hard to justify that price tag just getting started.
    Oh, and by the way. Yea, back packs do require alot of back up water.