1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer for spraying?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by derbydon, Nov 7, 2005.

1. derbydon

derbydon LawnSite Member

I use a 200 gallon Lesco sprayer that I mount in my pickup.

Because the majority of my business is commercial, (under 25 residential spraying accounts right now) I would like to mount my sprayer on a trailer.

Obvious advantage in time saved in installing and removing sprayer + added benefit of being able to tow sprayer across a property without me and my truck needing to be there (I have one licensed applicator besides myself)

PROBLEM is I can't locate the right trailer. Every trailer the size I want seems to have a limit of 1500 lbs capacity. 200 gal x 8 lbs = 1600 lbs capacity plus the unit itself.

Need a trailer about 6' x 6' with a 2000 lb capacity.

Anybody out there use anything similar?
  2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you want to tow a 200 gal sprayer across a property when you can accomplish the same thing with a low volume unit such as a Z-spray or a P.G.? If you are mostly treating commercial properties of any size, either will be better than a 200 gal tank. If you are determined to haul it, get a twin axle trailer and mount it so it can't budge, towing liquid is a whole lot different than towing solids.
  3. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Dual axles.
  4. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

Cemars-that's a great point. This I beleive is the way I'm going next year. Why not take the $'s that you would spend on a spray tank when you can take that same amout and be well on your way to a PG or Z-spray. Beside, I'm not that excited about dragging hoses which leads to Toxic chemicals on our bodies.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I also use a trailer for my tank sprayer. Mines only 100 gallon Lesco, but I also didn't want it in my truck bed all the time. It's too hard to get it in and out of the bed. I added 4 wheels to my sprayer so it rolls and I can pull it onto my small trailer using the rampgate.

I thought all single axle trailers were rated for 2,000 lbs? Pretty sure mine is... Iv'e had 2,000 lbs on it many times, no problems. If I had a dedicated trailer and a 200 gallon sprayer I would definately just bolt it onto it. I guess something as small as a 6'x6' you may have to have custom built with a single 3,500 lb. axle. Not too big a deal...

I think a couple of posters thought u were wanting to tow it while spraying or something...

You could get a permagreen or whatever, but you can't really ever replace the flexibility of a tank sprayer. You can spray anything you want with a tank sprayer and a hose gun, but a LV sprayer can only do limited apps.
  6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

there are some good pictures at www.gncindustries.com of trailers set up for spraying. i'm working on a set up for mine this winter. i figure a trailer mounted set up is a better idea for a small set up like mine, if i have truck problems, i can always find a truck to tow it behind.
  7. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I use to use a small 5 x 8 trailer with 3500 lb axle. It was handy due to the above mentioned reason and leaving the bed free.
  8. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

I think some of you missed the point that he alreay has the 200 Gallon Lesco sprayer, and while a PG or a Zee spray may be a nice tool. he's trying to figure out how to use the tools he already owns.

You could probably get away with hauling the sprayer in a single axle 6x8 or whatever but a double axle would be safer and more stable.
  9. Call (812) 366-3540 tell them what size trailer and weight you need they can fix you up, good prices.
  10. derbydon

derbydon LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses.

You're all correct. Riders are much better for large properties, but I'm going in to my 3rd year and have a list of equipment to purchase for next year that is already going to have to be pared down some.

When I first started, I concluded a tank sprayer would be the most versatile for all types of properties.

For any newbies reading this (or newer than me LOL) I'll share with you the one critical mistake I made in my calculations. That is when evaluating equipment I mistakenly assumed that because riders and tow behind boom sprayers hold smaller capacities, such as 20 to 40 gallon tanks, that I would be forever filling and mixing.

MISTAKE: I now realize that when using a ride on unit or towable boom sprayer you spray at a much higher concentration, thereby applying less volume. The advantage is faster application rate. However, your margin for error in mixing and applying is lower. Probably still a good idea to start with a tank sprayer and spray 2 gal per 1000 sf.

Back to the trailer issue. I found a 4' x 6' trailer at a Lowes with a 2000 lb capacity for about $700. I'm sending one of my employees to school over the winter to become a RST (Indiana calls applicators a Registered Site Technician). He has his own pickup he is willing to use provided I reimburse him mileage.

Thanks, think I'll go do a Google for a new Snow Dance! We need all the help we can get down here for a good snow.