Trailer Gate Assist

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ProImage, Oct 16, 2006.

1. ProImage

ProImage LawnSite Member

I have been looking at gate-assists for trailers and I am wondering if anyone uses them, which one, pros/cons. I have a 6X12 w/ a split gate. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You can buy one for $150 to $180 that works o.k., or you can build one for less than 50 bucks that works excellent. Do a search, and you'll see several on here that were home built. Most are good ones, but there are a few that aren't all that hot.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see the need for gate assist on split gate, all that stuff would get in the way of sliding the gates off for loading mulch/sod on pallets.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It only takes less than a minute for both sides to undo. Anthing to make the job easier. you only have to put it on, once, and it DOES save alot of work...split gate, or not.
    Now, I built one for a friend of mine, and I devised a pin setup that connects his two gates. It works well, and he has the gatelift on just one side of the trailer. I guess he's talking about just welding the two sides up now, though, because he says there's no reason to have the gate to be split, as it lifts that easily, anyway. ((He can lift the gate - both sides - with one finger).

5. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

once you have one, you will have one on all your trailers. I bought one from buyers. You can make one, ask runner if he has plans.

6. ProImage

ProImage LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input so far. I don't like the split gate and don't see a need for it but I bought the trailer at a good price. Anyone have plans for one?

7. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

The split gates were originally designed for motorcycle and atvs so you could just unload 1 side:dizzy: dosnt make much sense to me. I definitely wouldnt like to have one either.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

9. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I own a 6x12 landscape trailer w/a split gate. I installed a Gorilla Lift gate assist. I bought mine from Northern Tool & Equipment. cost about $150. Works very nicely for split gates.

10. ProImage

ProImage LawnSite Member

Thanks for the thoughts and links to other threads, very helpful. I've decided to make my own and save the cash for equipment.