1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer gate assist

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tomofficial, Apr 26, 2010.

1. tomofficial

tomofficial LawnSite Member
    from East Tn

I have a 12 foot open trailer with heavy duty gate, looking for feedback on which is the best assist mfg to lighten the load on opening and closing the gate, Thanks!:usflag:
  2. HARRIS Property Management

HARRIS Property Management LawnSite Member

I have a landscape truck with a 16 ft bed and a heavy duty tailgate. Last winter I installed a hydraulic ram that has a 'gravity' down and 'power' up. The switch is installed close to the tailgate. Me or my guys have never had a back ache since! Was about a $500 project and well worth the money.
  3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we have tried many, and the type that are enclosed with rollers and braided cable all, i repeat all broke cables all the time. not worth it. now we have some elegators and they may be ugly and are big springs, but dude, they seriously work very well
  4. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

So you have a separate hydraulic system for one trailer gate? I thought about trying an electric ram, or linear actuator, but was unsure how fast it would operate. I would hate to spend all that money building it and having to wait forever for it to raise and lower every time! I use the Eric Elm gate assist, which is not the safest, but it works great! Ive often wondered if those cylinders that open hatchbacks and engine hoods would work? pneumatic cylinders, They are not that pricey and some of them can handle alot of weight! But I think it would be hard to determine the exact size and weight rating you would need, and the placement would have to be exact to get the maximum benefit, but they could be mounted on the underside of the gate instead of taking up rail space too. I may look into this a little more? Anyone have this type of set up?
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  5. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I have the gorrilla gate lifts. Knock on wood that I don't have the same luck as grassman177. Have only had it for one year.
  6. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Racke 'Em Manufacturing Double Barrel lift. It is like a big bike chain and then a normal chain at the end. I hope it holds up. Been having it for a few months now. Well worth the $$$. I think they are having sell right now too, for like 139.00 shipped to your door.
  7. HARRIS Property Management

I went to a hydraulic repair shop and bought a ram and pump from him. The pump and tank is all together and isnt really that big. Mounted under the bed. Its not slow raising up or down...it all depends on the size of the hoses you use to allow how much fluid to flow. I had to build my own mounting brackets but if anyone has a grinder and welder then you dont have a problem. Its the stuff...especially when you dont have to open and close a gate 15 to 20 times a day.
  8. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Just lift the gate up p!@#$%^. You sit on a mower all day or walk behind, doesn't matter, dont ya. Jesus i cant stand the laziness with you people. Unbelieveable! You guys should be ashamed of your laziness.
  9. HARRIS Property Management

My gate weighs almost 300 pounds. Its 8 feet wide and 6 feet tall when unfolded so come lift my gate all day 'Mr Macho Man'.
  10. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think he is ever used a gate assist. Once you use one there is no going back.