trailer gate lift assist

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mcwlandscaping, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Do a search and you'll find pics of my double setup in the pictures forum. I made my own and it works perfectly.

2. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

Where can you buy this system? I searched Ballard Easy Gates and did not come up with a web page.

3. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Just make your own. It isn't very hard and you can save a chunk of cash (if you have the time).

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I got the parts to make mine own. But never got to it. Since I came across a 7 by 16' enclosed wells cargo. It came with spring assist on the rear door.

5. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

I would be careful in making my own it could turn out to be a great liability. Try these I have them and am very happy with them, I literally lift my gate with one finger, http://www.gorilla-lift.com.

O'Donnell Landscapinf

6. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

I am going to be making a drop down gate for my 7x14 haulmark enclosed trailer. It is probably going to be a gate that folds in half when it is in it stored position so it can be long enough to not have too steep of an angle. I was thinking of using a one of the garage door springs that roll up and sit paralell to the garage door above it. Or do you think it would be better to run two garage door springs in tubes along the roof?

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Don't forget DANGEROUS!

By the way, if the original poster would have used the SEARCH button, he would have found tons of threads on this subject including photos and names of manufactures.
    But I guess searching requires legwork and it's easier to just post a question for the hundredth time.

8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I have a 20foot enclosed haulmark. and right above the ramp door is the "roll up and sit paralll to the garage door above it" is the method they used to have their gate assist. I just kick it up with the top of my foot and then let it go. You have to be careful though, cause if you let go of it, it will make a really violent slam against the trailer. If someone was really light, I bet it could pull them up with it.

9. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

Hey Mark, I've talked to a Haulmark dealer and they said that the framing structure of a fold up ramp is different than the ones with barn doors, which I have. Could you post pictures of the interior supports in the rear by the ramp so that I can compare it to my trailer. Thanks, Tyler

10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

my trailer is at the shop right now, so ill have to get you pic's on monday