Trailer gates...Tube or Angle Steel?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Ric3077, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey everyone, I just bought a new trailer yesterday...it is going to take about 2 weeks to build...I decided to make a TUBE steel frame for the gates and put a piece of angle only where the gate meets the road (to create a better start for the ramp)...anyway my question is...Has anyone had problems with 2X2 tube 14 gauge braking on them when going up and down the ramps with a large mower over the years? I am wondering if I should A. Change the gates to ANGLE steel so that it gives more or B. split the gate into 2 halves, or C. Just keep it the way I ordered it...please let me know your thoughts...thanks!

Here is some details on the rest of the trailer"
    • Custom 15 foot trailer
    • 2 foot dove tail
    • Extra wide (6'10'' instead of 6'4'')
    • treated pine flooring
    • 4 foot high walls all around covered in mesh
    • Dual Axle
    • 1 axle has brakes
    • New tires and wheels
    • Customer lockable trimmer rack
    • Rear gate
    • Side gate
    • DOT package (breakaway kit, red/white safety tape around outside)
    • Gray paint with red pin stripe
    • Tarp roller welded to the front top of the trailer
    • Solid tarp

All that for $2100 flat...pretty good deal I thought...
    :blob1: :blob4: :blob1: :blob4: :blob1: :blob4: :blob1: :blob4:

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 20 ft. landscape trailer with two 5K axles. I use it for hauling the tractor (about 3500lbs.). When it was my only trailer, I also used it for all my mower hauling needs. It looks just like a "normal" lawn maintenance trailer with angle iron rails and gate. What I had done to insure no problems with driving up the tractor was two things:
    1) Had my dealer make two "knees" to support the gate. When the gate is laid down, these knees almost touch the ground. They're welded to the gate at the base and about halfway up the gate. When the tractor or mower start up the gate, the weight pushes it down but the knees hit ground and stop the push. This also keeps the weight off the pins and rear of the trailer while putting it on the knees and ground instead.
    2) Look at where your mower wheels hit the gate. Have another piece of angle iron support welded to the gate along the track of your wheels. The steel mesh will not sag from the weight if this is done. The knees can also be welded here as well.
    I've had this trailer for two years hauling mowers and tractor. The gate is as sound now as the day it was purchased. Since it's all angle iron, its not as heavy as tubing, also. Good Luck

3. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

Great price! where'd you order it from? post some pics when it's done

4. Ric3077

For some reason I put CUTOMER trimmer rack it should say CUSTOM not Customer ...also it has the heavy duty fenders too...I will definatley put some pics up when it is done!!! I got it at JNN Enterprises here in MO.
    :blob1: :blob4: :blob1: :blob4: :blob1: :blob4: :blob1: :blob4:

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

My welder uses 1x2 tubing for gates. With 7 tubes between the ground edge and the hinge edge. He says it is just as strong as 2x2 and lighter. I have never broken the gate he made me.

Derek

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

When you get it, I would love to see some pics.

Sounds reasonably priced too.

7. Ric3077

Pics will be up the day it comes home!!! I can't wait!:blob1: :blob4: :blob1: :blob4: :blob1: :blob4: :blob1: :blob4:

8. cochino12

I cant seem to find a website for your dealer, everything here in Co. is SO expensive would you mind posting a phone number?

9. Ric3077

The website is www.JJNENT.com tell them Ric from St. Louis sent you!:blob1: :blob4: :blob1: :blob4: :blob1: :blob4: :blob1: :blob4:

10. cochino12

Hey Ric, I just got off the phone w/JC at JJENT and will be sending a check off to him in the morning!!! Any news on your trailer?