trailer gates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy82, Jul 21, 2001.

1. hey there everyone. i have a 16' landscape trailer with a single 4 or 5 foot long ramp. when i go to dump clippings or whatever else off the thing i dump right off a cliff. the spot that i put the gate down in is not the kind of place you want to be if you have to support any weight. i was wondering if the ramp assist kit also helps the ramp go down, and up as well. because i really am busting up this gate badly. any help would be appreciated. i remember a friend had a big spring there or something that eased it going down, but not enough for what i need.

2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Go to Eric's web site. There you will find pics of the trailer gate he made. Saves alot on your back. Lifting that gate 20+ times per weeks get old.

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

A week??????????????

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I hope this helps. Because of the strength of the tension on my gate deal, very little effort is needed to drop it. As a matter of fact, I can drop my gate, and it doesn't crash down on to the ground. It sounds as if it would if you dropped it from about an inch high. It barely makes it to the ground. When I first tested it, it didn't even go down all the way by itself. It would make it to about a foot off the groung, and you would have to put your foot on it (hardly any pressure) for it to go the rest of the way. It took a little tweaking to go all the way.

5. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I built one like the ez gate (with parts that I bought from them) and it works great. It takes a little tweakin to get it where you want it. Sometimes I forget it's there and I heave the gate up and CLAAANNNGG!!! Lesson: always have your earplugs in!LOL

PS. make sure that all of the cable clamps are double tight! I was grinding on my trailer one day and I heard a snap. Vinyl coated cable was clamped but vinyl peeled off where clamps were and the spring let loose, hit the anchoring eyelet and bent the crap out of my top rail!!!

Rick

6. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Hey rix,

Guess thats why they charge all that money for that engineering and stuff to make sure their products dont kill someone. Count your blessings that it was your rail that got bent and not someones body part.

Thrift is great but not at the expense of safety.

CMerLand