trailer help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mr.Lawn, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Mr.Lawn

Mr.Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Ok I give up, how can you stop your trailer from coming off the ground when you are not connected to your tow unit??????

2. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

If the front of the trailer is coming off of the ground when you unhook from your truck- then you have too much weight on the back of the trailer. You need more tongue weight- move the weight to the front of the trailer. It actually should be balanced over the axle(s) with a little more to the front. If you have too much weight in the rear you might experience trailer sway- the trailer will start to sway back and forth while you are pulling it.

3. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

What Todd Said. Also, RV trailers use jack stands on all four corners. A couple in the back might come in handy.

Tim

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

just unload your trailer before you unhook it. What Todd said is correct so if you dont want to unload it make sure its balanced or go buy a tandem axle trailer.

5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

(TW) Tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of your (GTW) gross trailer weight. Sounds like you may have too much weight at the back of your trailer, try redistributing the weight on your trailer

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

so unload and reload the trailor every day just to unhook it...??????? sorry but sounds like a big waste of time,

distribute the weight properly as stated before

7. shortgut

shortgut LawnSite Member

block it up at the rear with like a jack stand when you unload or load if unhooked from the truck really not a great idea to unload when trailer is D/C from truck tralier could roll and hit the truck or roll just about anywhereif the conditions are right

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Not to be an arse but...

Is the trailer hooked up properly in the first place? Is it level or do you have to jack it up all the way just to meet the ball on the tow vehicle? If it is just get a receiver that is lowered to make it level...that way when you jack it up the incline isn't as bad.

Also, one of my enclosed trailers has jacks welded to the frame so we can load/unload equipment without having attached to a vehicle. Its nice cause we don't have to hump jacks in/out of trailer and take up even more room.

9. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

by the way you never want to drive with too much wieght in the rear trust me i first started running a crew for a co that i used to work 8 years ago one of the guys (older than me ) put the rider on the very back and guess what happened? i made the 5 o clock news lawn truck and trailer does 2 360s down the middle of the interstate in rush hour traffic . i blew out 4 tires and jack knifed the trailer . just make sure after loading the trailer it is sitting level .

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly...Thanks, I was going to say something about this. If your trailer front wants to come up on it's own, that means your weight to tongue distribution is WAY off. This is extremely dangerous and definitely affects the handling of the tow vehicle - especially when stopping more than what many people realize. Very dangerous.