1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

what do you guys do to keep your mower(s) from bouncing around on your trailers? i have a 6X10 open and i'm thinking about nailing 2x4 blocks to the floor to hold the front tires in place. (exmark lazer zhp 48''). do you think this will work? what have you had luck with? i don't like taking the time to strap it down after each lawn. thanks in advance for the tips. :p
  2. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

I know here in Minnesota that the DOT requires that they be tied down and they are hot on Lawn care guy as they are easy targets. They want to see that you are tied down all four corners. Just food for thought.

3. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

You may want to put a u-bolt somewhere on the trailer near the tires and hook a clip from the mower to the u-bolt. You want to make sure that the u-bolt is properly mounted to the trailer so it doesn't come lose. Just food for thought. Since the majority of our business is in the same area we don't have to tie them down until we are finished. Good luck!
  4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Slow down!!!!
  5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Call me crazy but I was thinking the same thing.
  6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i use the greentouch tie down on my scag walkbehind. works great. i just use the e brake on my lazer, and it hardly ever moves.
  8. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

well, i don't drive fast, so that can't be it :) but my trailer was a bit raised, so i bought a larger drop on my hitch. i think that is really helping. thanks for the advice, and keep it comin'
  9. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I use ratchet straps to hold my equipment, this has worked for me.
  10. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, ratchet straps here for me as well. Quick and easy to lock and unlock stuff up and you know as you're clamping it it's tight and will hold..

Keep a knife/razor in your tool box though just in case the ratcheting mechanism wacks out and you can't get the belt loose..

Happened to me ONE time.. Man the spring clip bent, there was NOTHING I could do to get it off, AND it was under tension so that just made it worse.. Had no choice but to cut it off.

I know that you can also use your truck Cigarette lighter to MELT the strap off if you really get desperate...

Many forget that the old cigarette lighter is a great tool that we all have in our trucks.