Trailer Hitch Attachment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Hey,
    Take a look at the way this trailer attaches to the BALL.

Someone told me that this format is known for having the trailer pop OFF the ball more frequently than the "Hook and latch" type that many many boat trailers have, where you clamp down a lever-type arm and stick a pad lock thru a small hole so it can't come undone.

Do you guys have this system, and what do you think of it?

If I use a breaker bar of sorts to make sure the turn-key nut is down as tight as possible against the ball, do ya think I'll have any problems?

Gary

test3.jpg

2. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

We've had problems with the locking tab getting bent and allowing the nut(knob) to unscrew. If you inspect the mechanism that prevents the knob from unscrewing regularly you should be ok. Replacement knob kit available from Napa.

3. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

Those do pop of easier. Go with a bulldog stlye hitch. i have never heard of problems with them. that is the type all the manufacters around here put on and reccomend.

4. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info, TFL. I wasn't sure if the guy who told me that the tye pictured pop easier or not knew what he was talking about. I myself don't know why that would happen. How hard is it to switch the nose of the trailer to the bulldog type?

Thanks!
    Gary

5. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

If you are expierenced in metal work it isn't that difficult at all. you will need a welder and a torch. The key to doing this switch successfully is that the new hitch has to be perfectly square. If you don't get it perfectly square the trailer will not tow straight and you don't want that. if you decide to do the switch be sure you don,t get into a hurry. Good luvk. For more info you might ask 75 in the welding and fabricating forum.

6. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen that hitch a number times, the exact same manufacturer and unit being installed on new trailers at a local trailer shop. I believe it's called the surge-o-matic or something like that. The problem is that that trailer has surge breakes and the box right behind the coupling comes together as one unit straight out of the box. You wouldn't be able to just slice off that end of the coupler and mount a bulldog coupler without removing the entire unit, but then you'd loose the surge breaks...

7. Jason_S

Jason_S LawnSite Member

I would reccomend whatever this guy is using!!!!!

hitch.jpg

8. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Man that would suck. But does look to be one heck of a hitch. I wonder how many Buds he was into. :D

9. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

10. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Come on now.... at that angle that truck cannot still be hooked on by the ball ??? If is is the frame of the trailer would have twisted and torn under all that weight and the saftey chains could not hold a 6K # truck like that ?? He must be on a ledge or rock or something..... Got any after pics ??