1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer hitch for Scag turf tiger

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by Landry, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Landry

Landry LawnSite Member

Has anyone made a hitch for a ZTR ? I have a spray rig that a would like to tow and I have yet to see a ZTR pull one. My TT has a nice rectangle shaped plate at the back of the mower that seems strong enough to fab a mounting point. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? Thanks....Landry
  2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Landry - I'm familiar with the metalworking side of the subject, but not ZTR's - here's guessin' though:

Depending on how heavy the plate you mention is, it may be necessary to reinforce the area in order to prevent cracking - which will most likely start around the bolt holes you drill to attach the hitch. A good way to do this is to "sandwich" the plate which is part of your ZTR between the hitch and a backup plate which is in effect a big washer. This spreads the stress out over a larger area.

What sort of hitch you use is a matter of personal preference also: You could use a 1-7/8" ball hitch and fab a mount accordingly (plate with 4 holes that bolts to your ZTR, with another plate welded 90 degrees to it for the ball to bolt to. Another option is to do the same thing but not install a trailer ball, instead making the hitch on your spray unit a "fork" that slips over the plate on your machine & pins in place.

Just a couple of ideas anyway!
  3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

My dad has an old John Deere 110 garden tractor w/ a bolt on hitch.
    I went to Deere dealer and ordered one. I mounted it on the back of
    my Exmark Lazer Hp. All I had to do is drill 2 holes to bolt it on.
    I have used it to tow a lawn roller and it has worked well. ED
  4. kuberski

kuberski LawnSite Member

Had an old four wheeler that doesn't run any more. Took the hitch off of it, spray painted it scag orange, attached it to the back and works wonderfully.
  5. PARKER124

PARKER124 LawnSite Member

Most John Deere dealers should be able to help you on this.
    Ask for a rear flat hitch for a Gator Utility vehecle.
    The whole goods part number is BM17801, retail price of $30.00.
    It can easily be mounted on the plate you mentioned by either welding or bolting on.
    If you are going to bolt it on, take care in choosing the length and direction you insert the bolt's, as there is a rotating pulley behind the plate.
    The hitch comes in black but a can of "Cat's Eye Gold" touch up paint would be a good investment.
    Good Luck.
    P.S. Don't mean to state the obvious but the reason manufacturer's dont install hitches is because of the jacknife problem when turning too sharpley or backing up. Just an early warning.
  6. sparechange

sparechange LawnSite Member

i don't know about skag, but my lazer hp hitch came with a warning sticker. DO NOT TOW MORE THAN 80 LBS

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

There was this same discussion on the Homeowners assist forum - "rear hitch for ZTR" - and a couple pictures of the factory Toro unit (mine) - maybe it will give you some ideas.
  8. carv@gte.net

carv@gte.net LawnSite Member

I have just purchased a tiger and have been considering the same thing. While the rear plate is 3/16 steel the next plate forward is only 1/8 and houses all the major components, damage or twisting could be costly. If you look at the rear frame you will find 4 holes, two are used to mount the accessory plate where all pullies are mounted. I have considered making a plate to use all 4 holes on both sides of the mower. Run the plate under the machine following the shape of the rear accessory plate up to the opposing side and make use of the other four bolts to attach it. I have also considered then attach a arm at the lowest spot on the hitch and bolting it to the machine under the engine. This may be overkill but I am pulling a trailer that will be about 1,000lb when loaded. Attached you will find a photo of a simpler hitch used by trac vac used to mount their vacuum system that also uses these holes. Just found it, think it might have the hitch too high where what I breifly explaned above would result in a lower hitch and also not obstruct anything. Good luck if you find a better way let me know!!

9. clyde stewart

clyde stewart LawnSite Member
    from MS

I knew a guy that would push very heavy items around with his ZTR that 5 men couldn't push i think it would be ok to tow stuff just make sure that the bearings and the tires are properly inflated so not to cause a drag. and the fluid is up to the rite level.
  10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I would really like to have a ball set up on mine as well. My concern is breaking that plate that you would bolt the ball and mount too. I just had that piece replaced under warrentee, and believe me, you don't want to replace one. Big dollars!! How could you reinforce that area, so as not to break her at the bolt hole area, as I think this to be the weakest link? I am sure she will toe plenty, I just fear breaking her up.