trailer hitch (kinda long)

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mmacsek, Jan 12, 2004.

1. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up my new enclosed trailer last week. It's an 8x18 and weighs about 2300lbs empty. I was at my in laws yesterday and my father- in- law asked if I have an equalizer hitch and an anti-sway bar installed. I told him no and he said he would never drive it like that. The anti-sway bar fastens to a small ball on the trailer tongue and the hitch. It is supposed to keep the trailer from jackknifing. He used to tow a 18' travel trailer with a 1992 Chevy blazer and had an accident on the interstate when a tractor trailer passed. It caused the trailer to sway. He now tows with a 1996 Chevy 1500 and uses the same setup. I tow with a 1996 Ford F-250 4x2 ext. cab. 8800 GVW. I estimate the load weight in the trailer will be 3000lbs. According to the truck specs I should be fine. When I brought the trailer home I drove on the interstate for about 20 miles at 60m.p.h. and it handled GREAT!! Does anybody use the above hitch upgrades? Am I setting myself up? I think my father-in-laws tow vehicles are to small but didn't want to create hard feelings. Thanks Matt

2. cuttingchris

cuttingchris LawnSite Member

travel trailers tow way differnt cause the wheels are towards the rear end they tend to sway alot more i tow my greandfathers 27 foot boat with no problem and my 18 foot trailer with no problem but even with a anti sway system his travel trailer still sways i would say you dont need it but thats just my thoughts

3. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

Before I got into the lawncare biz my family owned a RV park, we only used the tow bars on trailers that had a front kitchen (too much tongue weight) towing with a dually. I pull my 7x16 enclosed trailer with a F250 with no problem, tow bars are not needed.

4. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

the equalizer hitch attempts to take weight off of the rear axle. Many campers have a lot of tongue weight so spring bars aid this. This really helps suvs. I don't think they are really needed with pick ups since they usually have heavier leaf springs. The anti sway bar is really only usefull on the highway. It creates resistance between the trailer and vehicle to prevent the entire rig from going down the road like a worm. Most landscapers that i know do not drive far or on the highway much, and it is not that big of a concern. Landscapers usually use trucks that are usually larger, heavier, and have longer wheel bases than suvs. This helps to reduce the sway affect. Around town, the sway bar can be noisy as well. In my opinion, it is a hassle to hitch, more expensive, and provides minimal gain to most scapers.

5. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

Your tow rig is alot heavier than what he was using. You should be okay towing with your set up.

6. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I had the same feelings but I wanted to double check. If I had to "add" something, winter is the time for that. Thanks again. Matt