1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer inadequate?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Woodward, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Woodward

Woodward LawnSite Member

Has anyone had bad experiences with a 6000# bobcat on a trailer that has 2 3500# axles with one of those axles having brakes? I will mostly be using the tailer for my ztr mower however if I would need to use a bobcat for landscaping or snow removal it would be nice not spending $50.00 on a trailer rental each time. I may need the trailer 10-20 times a year for that use and it would be short hauls 30 miles or less. I'm looking at $900.00 for that trailer or should I uprade to 2 5200# axles for $500.00
    more? Thanks for the info.
  2. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

How big is the trailer? Do you have enough space to buy another trailer if you get a larger skidsteer? Will you ever put anything else on that trailer with the skidsteer?
    I personally would go with the stronger axles as long as the rest of the trailer is stronger too.
  3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends more on the truck than the trailer! we have pulled more than a dozen or so times a skid steer and a dingo on the back of a trailer with NO trailer brakes and did fine with the F-350 PSD pulling it and stopping. Its a 1 ton so it can stop it just dont expect to be able to panic stop. Go for it then later add dual axle brakes its cheap insurance.:D
  4. EIB

EIB LawnSite Member

That would mean that the total weight the trailer can hold is 7000#. Assuming the trailer weight by itself is under 1000#. You are at the max for that trailer. If the trailer is over 1000# empty that means it is overloaded with the bobcat on it. My trailer is a 10,000#, but it weight approx. 2500# which means I can only carry about 7500# without overloading it. My trailer has brakes both axles, and you can tell the difference. I wouldn't want to use just the truck brakes, or single axles brakes. You can upgrade the axles and springs, but the trailer was only built to handle 7000#.
  5. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

If you're going to be carrying a skid steer get the bigger axles. Man been there before! Then get brakes on both axles for sure! GOO LUCK!
  6. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have put a dingo and a couple yards of dirt on my 16 ft tandem w/brakes nefore, but a Dingo don't weigh near what a reg size Bobcat weighs. I would not do it only because you are at or very near the limit. 1 bad pothole or something and suddenly Houston there is a proble.

7. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

Also Check your tire load rating. My guess is you'll blow the tires before anything else. Also don't you guys ever get pulled over for equipment checks? I can't imagine not getting a ticket for overloading a trailer or having insufficient brakes. Lawn services around here are pulled over non-stop for DOT inspections. Not to mention starting this year we're required to have a US DOT # on all combinations over 10,000 lbs. Just my 2 cents