trailer insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by stevesmowing, Dec 16, 2004.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking into getting a trailer for my ztr and walk behind but noticed I would not have property damage insurance for anything on the trailer if the accident is my fault or a hit and run. Does everyone else insure their equipment or can you just insurance trailer contents for a set value. I called the insurance company and they wern't sure. They were supposed to get back but so far they havn't.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Our trucks and trailers are all insured separately on our commerical policy. Insurance on the trailer covers contents (mowers, etc.) as well.
  3. R&R LawnService

R&R LawnService LawnSite Member

Our insurance company told us that the trailer is covered in the trucks policy. Any equipment on the trailer is not covered.
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Mine is set-up the same.
  5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I have inland marine on my commercial policy which covers me for 50,000.0 in theft and or accidents. It covers the trailer and any thing on it and any thing in my storage unit, cost 71.00
  6. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

How much are people paying for commercial auto policys? I have a 97 f150, am 16 years old, I had drivers ed and I am a student in good standings. My driving recorded is clear. I gotta believe rates are going to be sky high however. I am the only one that would be driving the truck. For those of you that just have your trailer covered and not the contents are you just taking that risk?
  7. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

When you insure your truck and trailer there is a usually a rider in the policy about how big the trailer can be before it must be insured. In my case it was any trailer over 1000#'s. Make sure you are covered.......DON'T FIND OUT BY ACCIDENT!!!
  8. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

I don't know why someone would insure a trailer, but not their equipment. Our $1,000 deductible policy on an '01 Ram, 16' open trailer, $20K equipment coverage and $1 million liability runs close to $2600 per year.