Trailer Issues

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BlackDog3, Mar 3, 2009.

1. BlackDog3

BlackDog3 LawnSite Member

Hey Gang, i bought a trailer from a friend of mine back last year around this time and to make a long story short, he passed away and we never got the title transferred. A few days ago i tried with the executor of the will, which was his brother and the trailer never belonged to my friend who died. It was given to him by a friend who got it from my friend Mark. There is a License plate on it, but its registered to another trailer in the friends name. I quized the original owner, Mark, and he said there is no title to this trailer. What do i do? The registration on the LP is up in November. Any help would be great.

Chris

2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I bought a used trailer with no title or anything, off a friend. I went to the DMV and told them I built it myself. Without question they gave me a tag and it was about $25. Now if your trailer is more that 2000 lbs like an enclosed you may have problems. And I'm not sure about the rules in your state.

3. BlackDog3

Did you have to show proof of it? Like receipts for parts and or get it inspected after you received you plate?

Chris

4. South Florida Lawns

from usa

No I even took pics but the people at the DMV never asked to see them, lady there gave me a serial number and told me to engrave it into the frame.

What is the size and weight of your trailer?

5. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Same here. You got to love Florida.

6. IdealLawnCare

IdealLawnCare LawnSite Member

Thats what Minnesota does too. They call it a home made trailer.

7. BlackDog3

My trailer is 16 feet from tongue to rear. As for the weight i have no idea. Let me post a pic. She isnt the prettiest, but 500 bucks was a good deal.

[​IMG]

Chris

8. South Florida Lawns

from usa

That there is a 6.5-7x12 its probably around 900 lbs. Try and tell them its home built take some pics for proof, make sure there aren't any manufacture stickers/warning decals on it and you should be good to go.

9. BlackDog3

Ya its a good lil trailer! I know i need to get tires for it. Somebody put regular car tires on it. It works but not exactly right. I was gonna paint it and clean it all up. I have been told its an 85 Eager Beaver trailer. There are no stickers on it. I did ask a friend tonight, and he told me that i could just get a bill of sale and i can get a plate issued if it doesn't have a vin? Is that true?

Chris

10. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

No, I think it is a 14 foot, from tongue to rear, form the tongue to the front of the trailer is is 2 foot, then from front of trailer to rear would be 14 foot. Very rare are there 12 foot trailers made with dual axles.