1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Jacks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Metroman, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Metroman

Metroman LawnSite Member
    from Va.

I need to relocate the jack on my trailer it's in the way when I hook it to my 1 ton. I also want to put a storage box behind where the jack is at now. Any ideas?
  2. Commander

Commander Banned

Your trailer didn't come with a jack located right behind the hitch? Interesting....
  3. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

4. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Obviously it depends on whether you put the gate down on a pick up bed or dump and if its going to smack the jack. The length of the tongue will determine if you can place a box behind the jack - if it's a short tongue, this may not work. Our trailers are set up so the balls are 16" to 17" off the ground - with the jack right behind the hitch. The jacks are low enough or far enough back so that the tail gates of the pick up trucks don't hit the jack. A dump bed gate lowered beyond 90 degrees will hit the jack, but I never need to do this.

Guess it tall depends on how you use the truck as to how you set it up. I have seen jack set ups that swing off the side of the tongue. If you're trying to move it out of the way for when the tail gate goes down, this might be an option as it will be parrallel to the ground and out of the way.
  5. Bladewielder

Bladewielder LawnSite Member

LawnLad has a good idea. To get the jack out of the way of the tailgate some trailer makers position it back a bit. Thus, a set-back jack. This is fine until someone wants to install a tongue box. I'd say putting the jack on the outside of the tongue could be the way to go. Like he said there are jacks available that you could bolt or weld on that swing up when not needed. Just go to the nearest farm and home store and they should have some of these. Also, if you don't already have one get a receiver hitch. They hold more weight than bumpers, allow you to turn more sharply, and put the trailer (and the jack) back farther. In fact, that might be all you need to do. That could get the jack away from the tailgate without interfering with a tongue box.
  6. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking of getting a wheeled 'lift' for my 6 x 12. Any obvious problems with this? I have a juack but ideally I'm wanting to keep my equipment on the trailer and just rotate it around and store it.

Am I missing something here?

Also, are there weight limitations on these things?

7. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure what you mean by a "wheeled lift"? Haven't heard of that before. What are you trying to do?
  8. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Since I'm so ignorant on mechanical things to be truly dangerous I tend to make up words that describe what I'm trying to do.

Let me try it this way. I have a 6x12 with a jack that swings up after you have hitched to the truck. What I want is one w/ wheels on it- so I can keep my equipment on the trailer and unhitch it and push the complete load into my garage. Currently I off load the equipment and then unhitch the trailer and, by hand & a stiff back, push it in sperately.
  9. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

You can get what you are looking for at Lowes, Home Depot. When I bought my last trailer it came with a skid plate no wheel. the plate was flat and sturdy enough to mount a heavy duty castor wheel to it. It helps on both ends, loading is much easier all you have to do is get it close and you pull the wheeled trailer to the ball. The one I'm talking about is a 16' with two big machines and much equipment. Still moves well. Marine(boat) supply places have them as well. Good luck.
  10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I replaced my fixed type jack with a 'wheeled' swing out. It bolted to the side of the frame, and swings level when not in use - very convienent.
    The wheels doesn't work so good. If the trailer is on unlevel ground at all - it Will Roll Around! :eek:

I'm gonna do away with the wheel and also get a heavier duty jack.
    The wheel is just too dangerous, if the trailer is unlevel, and you jack it up, it will move on you! I have to use a broken cinder block now to "scotch" the wheel when jacking.

Mine is also a side wind, I like it much more than a top wind.

Mount a mirror on the trailer and you'll be able to put the ball right under the coupling every time, quickly too!;)