1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer keeps blowing Truck brake light fuse !!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfer, Sep 15, 2000.

1. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

I have a fairly new 12' x 6.5' trailer with the normal 4 pin light connection. My Chevy z71 has an RV connection so I use a standard adaptor to get the 4 pin to fit into the RV connection. The problem is, I keep blowing brake light fuses in my truck. It also blew the turn signal fuse. The parking lights seem to work fine. Am I missing something ? I went from a 15 amp to a 20 amp thinking that this would solve the problem but it still blew. I also blew a brake light fuse in my wife's SUV when I hooked the trailer up to it just to pull it out of the garage so this makes me believe it is the trailer. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks.
  2. sunrise

sunrise Banned

This happened to me also. My problem was that the a wire on the trailer was bare or skined and was moving and touching metal causeing the blow. I put all the wires in a loom and I havent had problems.
  3. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

That's what I was gonna say. A bare wire touching any grounded metal will blow fuses left and right.
  4. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same problem, bare wire came out and was touching. Another time I hade it wired wrong and the ground wire was in the wrong one.
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You have 3 wires going back to the lights, one is for the running lights one is for the left turn signal/stop lights and one is for the right turn signal/stop lights. The 4th wire in a plug is the ground. Either the right or left turn signal/stop light wire to the lights has a dead short. It sounds like the insulation coating wore off and is touching the frame. I had one trailer, they run the wires to the back and then put the wood floor on top of the wires, duh, they should have know down the line a guy would have problems.
  6. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I had a bear wire going through a hole leading to the brake light on the trailer. I checked all the holes and most of them were very sharp from being drilled out during the manufacturing process. It's probably wise to go ahead and tape your wires at these holes when you first get your new trailer.
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Good to hear you found the problem. Normally if you blow fuses only when you have the trailer hooked up, it is a dead short somewhere. I think they should run the wires in conduit and when I need to rewire a trailer, I do this to prevent further problems.