1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Latch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Mar 24, 2001.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I always put a pad lock on my trailer latch after I hook it up. This way it won't come off and nobody can monkey with it. A friend of mine never puts any kind of pin of lock through his. I tried to tell him that a 25 cent pin is cheap insurance that his trailer won't come disconnected, but he still insists that it won't come undone.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Good advice Bob. You can never be to safe.

Make sure you members have safety chains hooked up also. I hook the right side chain to the left side of the truck and the left chain to the right side of the truck. This leaves a cradle affect with the chains so if it does come loose, the tongue will drop down onto the chains to hold it up off the pavement more. Maybe everyone does this, but for newbies, I thought I would throw this in.

When transporting equipment, make sure you tie it down. I use the heavy duty motor cycle straps. I also put chalk blocks behind the tires and screw them to the floor so it helps hold thins in place the best possible.
  3. dont forget that when you are unloading something heavy from your trailer like a bobcat or miniexcavator and what not to have somebody stepping on the brake pedal in the truck while you are taking the machine off. if you dont do this you are in for some real trouble.
  4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I kriss cross the safty chains too! I was told that in PA you leagally have to cross the chains!
  5. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

what is better than stepping on the brake is to put a block in front of the wheels.If the trailer lifts up the brakes will do nothing unless the are the front brakes.