1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Leaf Box

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by MnGreen, Aug 16, 2009.

1. MnGreen

MnGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for others thoughts on a idea that passed through my head today regarding my need to build a leaf box for my trailer.

I have a 81" X 12' landscape trailer with a side and end gate I want to transform in to a leaf trailer for fall cleanups.
    First thought was to build a 2 x 2 frame off the "inside dimensions" and sheet it with (10) free sheets of 3/8" osb I came across.
    Today I was doing my daily Craigslist search and found a chain link dog kennel 6.6 x 6' X 12.
    Light bulb goes off in my head and say's screw trying to build a frame and all the hassles and hardware.
    Buy this assembled kennel for $100 and slide it right in the trailer, outside sheet it, paint, and mesh tarp the top.
    Kennel has a wide rear/end door where I can drop my gate, swing open the door and off load.
    I have e-trac along the trailers outside perimeter where I could easily strap the cage down in all corners from the top rail to the floor.

Seems to simple of a resolution, I missing something in all the excitement of a $100 leaf box ? :confused:

2. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

i wouldnt bother with the kennel. how are you going to dump it?

3. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

Build a box with 3 sides and a bottom using the side gate as the 4th side. Get a hyro mounted up under that thing and have it dump.

4. MnGreen

MnGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Open rear and use the loader & rakes, or tarps pulled out with a portable 12V 4,000lb winch I have sitting around I use to pull fish houses on to trailers.

No budget for a "dump" system, just need to utilize this open trailer this season.