Trailer Lettering - What is fair price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jan 28, 2005.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I am trying to get three F-150's and two 6X10 cargo trailers lettered with my company logo. Four colors (three shades of green and grey).

The guy who lettered my truck last year is out of business now.

One sign guy bid this at $300 per truck and $650 for the each trailer...$2,200 total.

Another sign guy bid this at $6,750.

The third sign guy still hasn't turned in a number.

Last year, I paid about $300 for the truck only.

At first I thought $650 per trailer was way too high. But after seeing $6750 for all five units, I'm thinking $650 per trailer may not be too bad.

Whats a fair price to pay for four color lettering on three sides of a 6X10 cargo trailer?

Thanks,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

$300 per truck and $650 per trailer seems fair to me.

3. hulan2

hulan2 LawnSite Member

I had a 2 color Logo/name lettered on a box truck, 800.00. If he is a reputable guy I think it is a fair price.

4. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

i dont know what a fair price is yet... but i went today to get an estimate on my 8x 20 enclosed trailer,i will let u know what i find out

5. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Im guessing you are doing viynal, right? That seems alot. I cant say much my truck and open trailer on the back was all viynal and it was free. My buddy does this for a job. I lucked out. But he told me if would have charged someone @400 bucks. My is two colors. Name ,phone and list of what I do.

6. caz1

caz1 LawnSite Member

I think i might have a lowballer sign guy then i had to magnitaic signs done for my truck with 3 colors really nice signs trees and bushs and that stuff he even did the design work $80.00 for the hole ball of wax. I then had him do my exploryer on the back 2 side windows just in white because the windows are tinted he charged me 55.00 for that so for 135.00 i had two trucks done and i have to amit they are most likely the nicest signs in town.

7. badranman

badranman LawnSite Member

I have a friend in the sign business so I get my work done really cheap, can't help you with price thing. I do know that the price differs depending on the thickness of the vinyl (thinner costs more) and the quality of the vinyl. He'll tell me "that certain red will be pink in a few months, go with this kind and it will last for years". I guess I'm saying make sure you're comparing apples to apples, a cheap price might be cheap for a reason.

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

thats about right in line with down here.
    I paid 30 bucks a side & 20 for a long one with ph. across the tail gate.
    this was when I was still undetermined about how i wanted my signs to look on my new truck so i had the mags made, now i got vinyl i think it was around 40 bucks a side, I put them on.

9. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I also assume you are talking about vinyl lettering. My F-250 HD was done for $95.00.

Both the doors were completed with my company name. It takes up almost the whole door. And then my # was added to the bed. The number is about 7 inches tall and 3 feet long.

All the same color. Took about 1 hour. Ill get a pic up sometime so you can see an example.

10. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

when I bought my trailer (8x20) and got quotes from local sign shops, the cost was around $2000. That was just for logo (2color) and phone number, 4 sides. Granted, the logo is about 9 ft wide on the sides of the trailer, but I felt that was high.

Now, having CAD experience (mechanical engineer in a previous life), I figured vector graphics werent difficult. I bought the machine, software and vinyl for right around 1800 bucks.
    Now, I do my own yard signs, magnetic signs, trailer lettering, and even do jobs for others. Ive got a job for a trailer for a dive shop here in town. That one will pay around 600 bucks, but its specialty vinyl (7 mil reflective)
    Get the 7 year vinyl if you can afford it......Much better quality. Thinner will conform around the rivets in your trailer. Don't, I repeat, don't settle for cheap vinyl. you do not want CAST. it will shrink more. Cast means its been stretched to the final width......Well. it will eventually try to return.

I know this is lots of info, but Im trying to help ya. I do both lawns and vinyl.