trailer light not working...Help please!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Linder'sLawnCare, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Linder'sLawnCare

Linder'sLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 02 gmc sierra 1500 z71... I am having a problem with one of my trailer lights. I just got done trying to fix it for the last hour... anyway, the left tail light only the running light comes on. it does not come on when i hit the breaks and the blinker. I put a new bulb in it too. it is the second trailer i had this problem on. it has to be my truck. i know i am not the only one that has had this problem. Thanks!!!

2. jrandallb

jrandallb LawnSite Member

I had the same problem, there is a seperate fuse for the left and right trailer lights.

3. Coastal Lawn Maintenance

Coastal Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

check your fuse box you probable have a blown fuse. if not that one of the wires that runs to your plug has gone bad

4. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

The fuse box is under the hood or on the side of the dash.
    If its on the dash, open the drivers door and look at the end of the dash.
    Left & Right have different fuses no matter where its at.

5. Linder'sLawnCare

I have a fuse box under the hood and in my truck let me go see what i find out

6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I feel your pain. Although i have the opposite. On my 97,02,03 trucks - everything works with all trailers I hook up to the 07,08,09 new model GMC trucks - just like that blow fuss. All I ever have is brake and turning signals - no running lights at nite or lic. plate light - don't get.

7. Linder'sLawnCare

ok. I only have one fuse for all my turn signals. and it is still good. wish it was a bad fuse

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

After countless hours of frustrating myself with this exact nonsense I found the EASY solution.
    Because it just doesn't matter, trailer lights will fail, sooner or later, sometimes several times in a short period of time.

Obviously you'll need the specific adapter for your trailer's connector,
    but get one of these with the LED test lights, then you always can troubleshoot
    on the spot whether the source of the problem is in the truck or in the trailer.

Whether you tap the brakes, the turn signal (either one) or the running lights,
    as power hits the adapter the LED that goes to the wire carrying the electricity lights up,
    so you instantly know what color even if your trailer is wired with the wrong colors you will
    know which one to fix because the LED lines up with the wire.

Then if the LED doesn't light at all, the problem is in your truck.
    Don't gotta unhook or start guessing squat, just watch the LED's.

They cost about the same as a regular adapter, certain auto parts stores tend to carry it.

In this picture below, the lighted LED is pointing to the SECOND wire from the bottom, it also tells me
    that wire is getting juice, so if the light isn't coming on then the problem is between the connector and the light,
    worst case scenario if I have to replace the entire length of wire at least I already know which one.

557743.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  9. Linder'sLawnCare

is it a GM thing. if it is, then it is my first complaint with GM (besides its economical situation:laugh:)

10. Linder'sLawnCare

I have one and it reads my right blinker and my running lights but not my left blinker. Thanks for the advice though. And i have the right connector going into my truck