Trailer Light Problem ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the deal. Running lights work, both turns signals work, but when I apply the brakes the right light goes off. What could be the PROBLEM? Thanks for your advice.

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

I've had the same problem before but I don't remembwer now how I fixed it. You might want to check the bulb and the wiring, make sure you don't have anything grounding it out.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

replace the bulb and let us know what happened.

4. I would check for bad ground connection.
  5. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in agreement with Wilburn - whenever electrical stuff starts acting "wierd" check the grounds first.

If everything else is working properly, my guess is that the right-hand light assembly is where the poor ground is. Depending on what type of light assembly you have, it may be grounded through a mounting bolt or with a separate wire. Check for corrosion buildup and/or a broken wire, and repair as necessary.

[Edited by 75 on 04-16-2001 at 05:47 PM]
  6. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

No doubt about it........ ground problem. If the replacement bulb doesnt fix it then its usually a ground 99.9999% of the time. An easy way to check is just have someone apply the brakes and take a small wire and actually ground the housing of the bulb and if the brake light comes on then you know it was a ground.
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Does your trailer light assembly have a side light, a small lense that shines to the outside (not the rear)? I replaced my lights early last season, then had a problem similar to what you described. I batted my head for a long time, unable to understand why the peculiar behavior. Finally, I check the very small bulb that lights the side light, and it was burned out. When I replaced it, all else worked fine. I don't understand how they are wired - I'm poor with electrical stuff, much better at mechanical. But somehow the circut goes through that small bulb.

Let us know how you solve it.

Trailer lights are the least fun of anything associated with lawn mowing!!!