1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trailer light problem

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by packey, Apr 17, 2008.

1. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I was working on a trailer I bought and I am having a time getting all lights to work. the left blinker,brakelight work fine but the right side will not work at all. nor do the running lights. I have checked bulbs and I have been crawling around for the last 2 hours with a flashlight and test meter looking for a broke connection. I have also checked the ground and so far everything checks good. I could use some ideas of what to check next
  2. 04superduty

04superduty LawnSite Member

lets start from the begining. are you getting power to the plug on your truck? are you getting power to a junction box on your trailer if their is one. next, are you getting power to your bulbs/ sockets. are the grounds in the lights good, did you clean them up and check them over good? do any of the running lights work or is it only the right side that doesnt work. the bulb sockets could be corroded up also, or a broken wire somewhere.
  3. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the help I found the problem this morning. some briliant person had throughly butchered the wiring harness under the truck. I wound up tracing the problem out and rewiring from my main wiring harness. Now I know why I was having problems with my tailights on the truck giving intermittent problems. Not to self when you buy a used truck dont assume the person knew anything who worked on it last.