Trailer Light PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ARLawnCare#1, Jun 17, 2004.

1. ARLawnCare#1

ARLawnCare#1 LawnSite Member
    from AR

I consider myself a trailer light expert.(Until today) My gooseneck has four round lights in the back, six clearance lights, $ licenses plate light. All lights work, BUT when I put the hazard lights on and the tail lights, the clearance lights flash VERY slightly. Sitting in the shop it does this. When I drive the trailer it blows the tail light fuse. Where am I getting the blinking in the clearance lights?? Should a four lights flash & have tail lights? Should two flash and two tail light? PLEASE HELP!! THANKS!!!!!!
  2. budracin

budracin LawnSite Member
    from florida

sounds like you may have a ground problem. Only the two outer lights should flash. Do you have a 6 plug pigtail?
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Yep sounds like a ground problem
  4. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

I worked in an auto repair garage for several years. One time a car came in with some light problems. Bout pulled all my hair out lookin for the trouble. What I found was a new 1157 bulb that the elements were touching each other in the glass that was suppose to keep them seperate.
  5. MDB270

MDB270 LawnSite Member

try taking a piece of like 12-14 guage wire and find a good groune on the truck and trailer and use the crimp on eyelets and then a connector you can disconect in the middle, and when you hook up and plug in you main plug also hood those wires together and you will have a good ground flowing through
  6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

If its a late model truck, you need to have a converter for the trailer lights. Or you have it wired wrong.
  7. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

you only need a converter if the truck has rear amber turn signals

i would say ground problem