Trailer Lighting.. someone invent easy trailer lights!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bigjeeping, Apr 3, 2007.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not very electrically inclined, but I know the basics. I HATE trailer lights, they work, they don't, one blinker works, one doesn't, etc. etc.

Well here's my prob. The lights work, but one side wont blink or brake. I'm confident it's a Truck Side problem because the trailer is brand new, and because it does the same thing with my other trailer. This is a 7-way round connector.

Anyone know where I should start to troubleshoot this?

2. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a good test light and start with the plug on the truck. Test each function. If all ok go to plug on trailer and work your way back. I have found that most of the time problem is in the plug on the trailer or the back corner light that get back into.

If you find a problem on the truck just re-wire it. Trailer replace it(lights rust). For a diagram of the wiring just google it and hang it in the shop.

3. cet

cet LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

How old is your truck? If you have a newer truck there are fuses for the trailer harness. Check to see if the fuse is blowen.

4. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Start with what he said

5. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

My trucks are 99 and 2000, I'll check the fuses, then start checking each wire.... :hammerhead:

6. cet

cet LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

I believe the signals are at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock on the trailer plug. Use a circuit tester to see if you have power on that pin.

7. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

some require a splitter off the truck.

8. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

9. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel your pain. It seems like every trailer is a wiring nightmare!

10. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

when ever i have problems it is always the same thing. i spend 4 hours trying to see what is wrong, then i get mad and get out the wire cuters and cut it all out and replace all those cheap crimps with soider and shrink wrap. oh yea don't ever buy the trailer lights with bulbs that are replaceable. they will rust by the time the bulb burns out. go to a tractor trailer shop and buy the sealed lights that the big rigs use. they are about 5 bucks and it is lens and light and all, when you crack it or it burns out just replace the whole thing and no worries