trailer lights

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by northmichigan, May 14, 2005.

1. northmichigan

northmichigan LawnSite Member

my dual axle landscape trailer's plug pulled off it wire. i re wired the plug with the colors for each wire stated on the plug but none of the lights or brake works right now. do i have to just trail and err the wires to the plug or am i missing something? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    mj

2. work4green

work4green LawnSite Member

I was rewiring a plug recently on one of my trailers- none of the wires matched the plugs directions. Do you have a multimeter? That should help in the trial and error... good luck!

3. DKinWA

DKinWA LawnSite Member

It sounds like the plug on your tow vehicle may be wired goofy or the other possibility is a bad ground on either the trailer or tow vehicle side. A weak or bad ground in a 12 volt system has generated more than one problem. Before you start doing the trial and error thing, here's a link with some typical wiring diagrams. If things are correct on your trailer plug, use a 12 volt power source to actually check and see that the lights will work on the trailer. If everything is ok, start checking the plug on the tow vehicle. A working 12 volt light bulb, a couple of wires and a helper are all you need to check the plug. If the plug is wired incorrectly, I'd correct it there instead of on the trailer.

4. northmichigan

northmichigan LawnSite Member

the brake controller got fired when i wired according to color but using the sage advice of lawnsite's kind people got the turn signals working.
    thanks again.
    mj