Trailer load of Trees

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by grassbandit, Mar 23, 2006.

1. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

looks like you need some air bags in the back of the big Ford:walking:

Nice setup though!!!

2. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

That truck and trailer are sayin ouch!!! that setup wont make it past 50000 miles if you keep doing that, but if its a opportunity you cant pass up, you take it. And theres something to be said about the ford v-10's. Those things are fierce...

P.S. i love your signature quote.

3. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Nice load of trees....I been towing trailers for 19 years...I drove a combo that looked similar to yours ONCE! Key word being ONCE! Stopping distance increase like 10 fold, Steering is decreased, Wear and tear on equipment...This was main reason I switched my trucks to GM. Now no matter what I load into them they hardly ever squat! Of course they are all 3500's...

4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have all chevy HD 2500 - I see your hanging but were you on your overload's at all. I have once - but today for example, 2o ft trailer, skid, 100 sheets of 1/2 CDX plywood, 6 bundles of insulations, and 2 pallets of 6" block, 75 / pallet. Yes, my truck was hanging a bit - but 55 mph - handled ok I guess.

5. grassbandit

grassbandit LawnSite Member

that truck is just a 250 with overloads in the rear, and bags in the front for plowing. I pulled that load home at about 65 - 70mph no problem. Not too much steering play, just a lot more stopping distance.

6. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

another v10 owner and i bet that your mpg hurt on that trip!

7. grassbandit

grassbandit LawnSite Member

Funny enough, my mpg didn't hardly change a bit. Weird

8. Idealtim

Are we comparing apples to oranges here? Thats a serious load of crap in the trailer that would make any brand of 3/4 ton truck squat.

9. Idealtim

You sure the mpg didnt change?

10. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Well yea Fords and Chevys are apples and oranges...I just like the oranges better. Chevys imo are build more heavy duty then a ford...I have seen so many Fords squat when loaded and it just doesnt need to be that way.
    Theres a guy in my home town that drives around pulling a skid steer trailer with a ford 250 and the front tires on the truck are almost off theground everytime I see him go by...
    If your gonna pull heavy trailers at least use weight distribution bars.
    I have had this discussion too many times...
    Just drive safe....argh...