Trailer loading question??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KillerShark, Apr 7, 2001.

1. KillerShark

KillerShark LawnSite Member

I feel like most of you have trailers with the 4' drop gate in the rear. I've got a gravely promaster 100 ztr. The deck height adjustment is all manual. The deck seems to drag when it is set to mow at a decent level. Short of raising/lowering the deck everytime I load or unload... is there anything someone can recommend? Surely someone else has had this problem.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I just take my foot and raise my deck up before loading, but in your case, take and build up the floor with 2 X 6's on each side where the front wheels will run and build it up 1.5" or 3", what ever you need for the deck to clear the angle of the gate.

3. best i could say would be maybe to go up the ramp backwards. ive done that before and it helped a little bit. either that or maybe you should raise your hitch up a little bit to decrease? the angle.

4. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I had this problem too. I bought a higher hitch & that solved the problem. It changed the angle of the gate & floor of the trailer.

SJR

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I back my mowers up the ramp with out problems. I also have a 5' gate. The 1 foot difference in length is a lot. Maybe concider a gate extention.

6. MRPLOW

MRPLOW LawnSite Member

If your just barely dragging go for the new hitch, a 3 inch lift should work. It did for me.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We don't want him backing on, because when the casters swivel around, you have a longer wheel base that makes this problem worse. I realize you were not suggesting that he back his on. ;)

I can pull mine on forward and not drag, but when I back one on, it will drag if I don't have the deck completely up. I load mine this way so they are hitch to hitch and the heaviest parts of the machines are over the tandem axles. I also have the 5' gate which makes a big difference in not dragging.

8. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

I have the 5' gate and back on to the trailer....Only if the is really nosed down do I have any problems...Then I just raise the deck for these rare ocasions...

Peace!

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

When I had this problem, I built 2 small ramps to put under the edge of the gate. I used 2 pieces of 2x6, cut the ramp shape, and then cut notches toward the top of the ramp. The depth of these notches matched the thickness of the gate so it was a smooth roll. I then used some old deck wood that was about 6" wide, and capped the 2 pieces of 2x6 (for each ramp - 4 all together). The drive on part was cut short right to where the notches were for the gate to rest. These worked great. Gave my gate a rise, and let my machines roll smoothly up.

10. KillerShark

KillerShark LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the information. I'm in the process of getting a bigger trailer, and it was gonna have a 4' gate.
    I think I will have them put the 5' gate on it instead.