trailer maintenance

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mikesjumpingin, May 12, 2003.

1. mikesjumpingin

mikesjumpingin LawnSite Member

Okay, dumb question, but I was looking for a fitting on my new trailer for lubing the wheels.

What do I do, take the wheels off, and if there is a point for greese somewhere, how often should I do it?

Also, any tips on healthy or critical routine trailer maintanence much appreciated, such as things a trailer owner should know that doesn't come with instructions.

Thanks,

Mike

2. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

my mechanic who is a friend changes the seals and repacks the wheel bearings once a year .
    Myself i inspect the electric barkes often sometimes electric can lock up and break.
    The main thing is to have the wheel bearings repacked once a year and the electric brakes in working order and every so often a fresh coat of paint.

3. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

If its like mine, there should be a rubber gromet in hub that covers the spindle. Just pop out the rubber gromet (grease zerk on end of spindle), take your grease gun and grease it. You only need to do it once a year.

4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

When u say pack it or grease it do u mean take out the grease and pack it in with ur havds or use the greasegun and keep filling it until it starts squirting out @ u?

5. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

Most trailers come with a dust cap covering the end of the axle spindle. To grease it, you have to jack it up, pry off the cap ( i use an old chisel), remove the tire, remove the cotter pin and wheel retaining nut inside the end of the axle, remove the wheel. You can then get to both bearings to check them and repack them. you will usually need new seals for the inside bearing.

To remove the inside bearing, stick your fingers under the seal and grab the bearing and rotate it to where it is sticking out of the seat, then the seal can be tapped out from the inside with a wooden dowel. Some people just pack grease in the rear bearing and never remove the seal.

Sound like a bigger deal than it really is, but is still a PTA.

You can get replacement dust caps with grease zerts on them called Bearing Buddies, anyplace that sells minor trailer items should have them. It allows you to add grease without going through the whole mess, but the bearings should still be inspected periodically.

Bryan

6. soarkrebel

soarkrebel LawnSite Member

blafleur said it but you really need to clean those bearing and hub. i use mineral spirits or naptha. clean them and inspect them by rolling them in your hand. feel for rough rolling or the feel of grinding. if the bearings are bad replace them. i always replace the seals.
    you can take your old seals to a auto parts store and they can match you up if you don't have a trailer supply store around.

they do make a spindle that has a hole drilled through it so you can pump grease into the hub and bearings. they are more expensive and usually trailers don't come with them.
    i have a little atv trailer that i built that i put them on. i don't think they are worth the extra cost.

you can buy a little tool at auto zone or store like it to repack your bearing useing a grease gun. they are nice for the money.

7. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

Thank you Soarkrebel, important step I forgot, I always clean and inspect each bearing too.

Bryan

8. soarkrebel

soarkrebel LawnSite Member

bryan forgetting is a natural part of aging. i do it all the time.:D

a misplaced cajun? from the lafeyette area? i used to work out of inter coastal city south of abbeville for PHI. i just couldnt live there to many insects!

9. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

soarkrebel and blafleur?
    where do yall live? I am in Lafayette, LA.
    E-mail me, i would love to talk. glenjr10@bellsouth.net

10. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a tandem axle, you also need to check the shackles and bushings (little plastic sleeves that bolt the shackles) once a year.