Trailer Mounted Fuel Tank - Regs/Rules??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GAskidsteer, Sep 1, 2007.

1. GAskidsteer

GAskidsteer LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Building a new trailer for my Bobcat(skidsteer) and I am wanting to mount a auxillary fuel tank on it, about 75 gallons capacity. I read a number of forums and it seems that on one of them, there was a discussion about the Federal and /or State regulations governing the capacity, etc. Figure a lot of you are probably knowledgeable about this, so hoping for some input. Located in Georgia. Any help greatly appreciated.

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

In Alabama I believe as long as the capacity is under 105 gallons you don't need a hazmat permit. There might be different regulations if you mount the tank to a trailer I believe these are for truck mounted fuel tanks. We use fuel tanks mounted in the bed of our pickups.

3. GAskidsteer

from Georgia

Thanks, Adam. Yeah, it makes more sense to mount the tank on the truck, but at this point, a larger truck just isn't in the picture and I just don't have the room on the truck. Most likely there will be different regs for a trailer mounted tank.

4. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

we had a 250 tank that was built in to a trailer, had it for years no one ever said anything to us

5. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried to look up something on this on the dot.gov website, but it is about useless as a source for information. :dizzy: Ran out of time but you might be able to find something online. Basically I would think you just need to know the "reportable quanitity" or RQ for diesel fuel. Stay below that amount and you should not need any hazmat placards or license.

I do see guys with 100 gal tanks strapped on their tag trailers from time to time. I considered doing that when I was running a dump truck to pull my machine all the time, but now I've got a pickup with 8' box; plenty of room for a tank in there.

6. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

110 gallons in MI. Pretty sure that is nation wide (federal regulations). Ill look in my hazmat book in the morning.

7. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Found this on another forum:
    (from http://www.truckstopusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12046&sid=db6411394f9aa56c8c7991e27c36269a, about three or four posts down.)

It's a quote from some regs somewhere; looks like it is referring to extra fuels carried as reserve fuel or material of trade, which I think is what a transfer tank carries. I'm not an expert but it may be a place to start...

8. GAskidsteer

from Georgia

Hey guys, I really appreciate all of the input.

If I'm reading the rules correctly, then I've got a problem as I need to carry gasoline. All 3 of my machines and both of my trucks, are gas units and the 5 gallon can routine is not only aggravating, it's wasteful. I would like to mount about a 50 -60 gallon tank, w/electric pump, which would cover me for several days. Not to mention the small fact, that a lot of the areas I work, you don't leave a 5 gallon can sitting around w/gas in it, cause it will be gone, in short order. Stopping for gas every morning, also consumes a lot of time and this would allow me to fill up on the site. Somewhere, I read, can't remember where, that a fellow was ticketed by the DOT for having over a certain amount of fuel, or tank size, don't know which. Additionally, I believe he had diesel fuel, which according to the regulations posted above, you can carry more of than gasoline. So ?????:confused: